Friday, June 25, 2010

Aloha from Paradise

For those of you who don't know, I'm in Hawaii this week. We are currently at the Ritz Carlton, Kapalua on Maui.


I know, I know, you're all the thinking, why in the heck is she blogging` when there is a private beach and numerous resort pools right outside the window? It sounds absurd, but I'll tell you why it's not. First of all, have you ever slept on a Ritz Carlton bed? It's like bathing in a marshmallow. Secondly, my husbands in a four hour business meeting so it's just me and the baby half the time. Lastly, definitely I can tote the baby around the resort, but as you mom's out there know, sometimes babies need to take a nap in a room and not in a stroller, bjorn or beach chair. Not to mention I don't want him in the sun too much. But when he is, no worries, I've got him lathered in an SPF, like, 5ooooo. See below...
His perfect skin is still milky white, I can assure you. My tomato of a husband? That's a different story. And me, although I'm getting a tan, think I may have a slight allergy to the sun...I tend to get really itchy when I'm sunbathing (and after) and sometimes get red welt like spots. If you have any insight, go ahead and help an itchy sister out.

Anyway, I digress. So, yes world, call me obsessive or lame or whatever you want, but I'm blogging from Hawaii. But, in my defense I have some pretty good excuses... and I've improved in the last five minutes as I've finished nursing the baby and left him to sleep in the marshmallowy goodness, and I'm now sitting out in the sun on my balcony looking out onto the ocean. Better??

Before I go any further, I must say, I miss my little girl like no other. I didn't know how much I would miss the drop-kicking of a wake up call I'd get from her every morning... or having to make anyones breakfast. Well, I guess I technically make the boy's breakfast, but that's subconsciously. I can do it in my sleep... hands free. I'm talented like that. But I miss her tremendously. I have a perfect view right out my window as well of the kiddie pool and play structure. Talk about pouring salt in an open wound. Flipping the channels, I'm sad that I have no reason to stop on Nickelodeon or the Disney Channel. She would absolutely love it here. And next time, when Daddy's not busy working, she will be here without a doubt. In the mean time, she is living it up in her own personal Hawaii- Grandma's house. My sister's family lives there as well, and so she's having sleepovers, going to movies, swimming, having play dates and doing all sorts of fun things. I think I'm having a harder time with this than she is. In fact, I KNOW I'm the one being the baby about it. Point being, I feel like I left an appendage in California... and I'm going to feel a little crippled until she's back attached to my hip in three days.

(I just moved back inside...sitting in the sun for 5 minutes and the itching started. What the heck is this? Doesn't my skin know that it's a must to come back from a Hawaiian vacation with a legit tan?)

So, although I miss my baby and my husband has to work while we're here... that's the only bad thing about this place. Even the little bit of wind and rain we've had cannot take the beauty out of this gorgeous island and moreso this breathtaking resort. It's absolutely amazing. Check it out...

And earlier this week, we took a few days to ourselves in Ka'anapali at The Whaler right on the beach. It was a bit more humble than the Ritz, but still very nice and it was good to have some time to relax before the work events began.
It's so weird for me to not have to be anywhere, or do anything. I had to stop making the bed yesterday, and remind myself that housekeeping would be coming to do that.

I mean seriously, the biggest decision I've had to make today, is whether to snack on honey roasted macadamia nuts or lightly salted? (Honey roasted all the way---hey, it's a vacation, right? Ya gotta live a little. )

It is definitely the epitome of relaxation though. I even got to pluck my eyebrows in peace yesterday. And I had an uninterrupted shower. I know why it's called paradise now...

...but, with that said, I would choose my family home in California, with my loud wake up calls, Disney channel and PB&J sandwiches any day.

That is, unless they let me just send for Montana and take up permanent residence in the Ritz Carlton. At which, I'd probably choose Maui... they have Disney Channel, too.

So, with that, I'm going to enjoy my last few days on this beautiful island and go do more of this...
Aloha.

4 comments:

Gibson Family said...

So jealous!

MissManda-Mae said...

i have been enjoying the pictures marc has been posting on facebook... and i totally understand sand, beach, no husband and baby! love ritz beds... and pools... and food... and well... EVERYTHING!!! I know u miss ur princess, but enjoy the break and find a good book to read or go thru some mags...(that's a treat i never do unless i am child-less).... can't wait for more pics! ALOHA!

Rochelle said...

Business trips are the best when they take them in places like this! Have fun!

Eric, Sammy, & Kami said...

Ok I'm ready for you to be home so that 1: I don't have to be jealous anymore that you're in paradise getting waited on hand and foot while I'm doing laundry. 2: I miss my friend. And 3: you're going to have a better tan than me. Post more pictures so I can get even more jealous.