Thursday, October 07, 2010

I'm Gonna Like Me

I went to Costco the other day for three things: Peanut Butter (yes, we have to buy it in bulk when my daughter pretty much lives off of it), Formula (I need this in bulk now that I have weaned Carson from nursing), and Beauty and the Beast (because it's only my most favorite Disney movie of all time! Oh, and for the kids, too, I guess).  Somehow I ended up buying six or so things.  Dang Costco.  Anyway, one of the things I bought was a book for Montana.  At least, I thought it was for Montana but I've been finding myself reading it over and over again.  It's a book by Jamie Lee Curtis (the actress) and Laura Cornell.   It's called I'm Gonna Like Me: Letting Off a Little Self Esteem.
I highly recommend this book (click on the link above to buy it on Amazon- or go to Costco, it's on sale for two bucks less), and I look forward to buying the plethora of other children's books written by this creative authoring duo.

I loved the idea that it is teaching kids to like and love themselves, for exactly who they are.  For their strengths, amidst their weaknesses, when they excel and when they make mistakes.  This is exactly the type of thing I want to instill in my children.  But, as I read this adorable rhymey book with silly cartoon illustration, I thought of myself and the lack of "I'm Gonna Like Me's" that I say to myself everyday.

The very last rhyme of the book is this, "I'm gonna like me, I already do!  But enough about me - How about YOU?"

How about me?  Am I exuding this type of self esteem and confidence for my children to learn from?  Or are my subconscious actions and everyday self imposed standards showing them that your not done until it's "perfect".  Pretty sure I'm doing the latter...because I do that to myself everyday.  So, kind of using their idea, but in NO way trying to copy the authors book...I started thinking of things in my head that I could say, "I'm Gonna Like Me" to...and it kind of came out in rhyme as I thought it.

I'm Gonna Like Me,
When I'm up in the night,
Worrying too much about babies,
And checking to see if their alright.

I'm Gonna Like Me,
When I awake as a grump,
With little motivation to shower,
And I look like a frump.

I'm Gonna Like Me,
When my house is spot-less,
But I'm still gonna like me, 
When it's a horrible mess.

I'm Gonna Like Me,
When I run five miles at the gym,
Lifted weights, bicycled,
And ended with a 3 mile swim (Okay, that never happens...)

I'm Gonna Like Me,
When I'm lazy all day,
Catching up on my  DVR,
Wasting time away.

I'm Gonna Like Me,
Even when my gut looks like a muffin,
Because I had one too many scoops of ice cream,
And gave myself some extra stuffin'.  

I'm Gonna Like Me,
When I've worked my best,
To I fit into "those jeans",
And the buttons passes the test.

I'm Gonna Like Me,
When I lose patience with my kids,
And  it means I'm not perfect,
BECAUSE NOBODY IS!

I'm Gonna Like Me,
When I neglect the To-Do tasks,
To read to my kids for hours,
Just because they asked.

I'm Gonna Like Me,
When hormones over take my body,
And I'm a one woman monsoon,
"Look OUT everybody!"

I'm Gonna Like Me,
With a finished college degree,
But until that day comes,
I use everyday life to educate me.

I'm Gonna Like Me,
Lawyer, Doctor or CFO,
But I'm too busy for those now,
Motherhood is the most important job I know.

I'm Gonna Like Me,
When I'm awesome at stuff,
Because I am gosh darn it,
And my best is good enough.

I'm Gonna Like Me,
No matter what anyone thinks,
Because their opinion doesn't matter,
And negativity stinks.

I'm Gonna Like Me,
So that my kids can see,
That just who I am,
Is exactly who I SHOULD be!

And again to quote Jamie Lee Curtis and Laura Cornell, 

"I'M GONNA LIKE ME, I ALREADY DO!  BUT ENOUGH ABOUT ME...HOW ABOUT YOU??"


12 comments:

Maran said...

I think I've gotten that book before at the library! I like it! Great poem! And you're great. You definitely should like yourself because I do.

Emily said...

I absolutely love your poem!! I need to remind myself of those things as well. I think I need to buy that book. In the mean time is it ok if I print your poem off and hang up on my fridge or something as something to read?

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing. that was clever. i think i'm gonna go and by the book.

Eric, Sammy, & Kami said...

I love it and now I just have to get the book for the little ones.

p.s. I like the last paragraph (your own) and I think you just gave the authors a run for their money. Why you don't write a book is beyond me?? Hint hint

HeaTheR & ChRiS said...

I agree with Samantha...you are a great writer!! That book sounds good...might have to pick it up for Paisley and Presley!! :) Thanks for sharing!

MissManda-Mae said...

um can i just say... TALENT! omg, that was super clever! way to go! thanks for giving me food for thought today!

Tarah said...

you are so stinkin' cute stac! i seriously LOVE your poem:) we have her other book "Big Words for Little People" and it's a favorite, it's so great! You're more than welcome to borrow...

Tarah said...

LOVE your poem! Wonderful insight. We have her other book, "Big Words for Little People". It is a favorite over here, so great. You are welcome to borrow anytime...

Erixgirl said...

Cool book. Seriously, you are a very talented person, I think I'm just going to wait until you write your book.....don't even need to buy theirs!!! I really love reading your blog, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!!

Rochelle said...

I wanna read this to my kids.

Brandi Raye Turner said...

Oh my gosh, I haven't seen your blog in forever... I love this too!! I'm going to Costco today to buy that book. You've inspired me : ) Truly, I'm very impressed!

kendra joy said...

Awww, so cute! Loved your poem and I will have to get that book!