As I've gotten older, I've grown to have a certain confidence in myself that I am a strong person. I've been through significantly difficult experiences that have pushed me past limits of physical and emotional capacities that I didn't know I had and I came out not only alive but generally well and blessed. So, I don't know if its prideful to admit this but I will anyway, I think I'm pretty strong.
However, as my previous post Regaining Sensation mentioned, this move has proved to be a more substantially life changing and faith building trial than I had actually anticipated. It's pushed my personal buttons in such ways that have made me actually question myself, my character and even that strength that I had come to believe so fully about myself. But, being the full of faith and God fearing Christian woman I am, I do truly believe in the concept of all difficulties ultimately contributing to the greater good within us...that is, if we choose to fight past it and turn it into that good versus accepting the defeat and succumbing to the adversaries desires to dummy ourselves down to the lesser version of ourselves that he wants us to be. It's kind of his thing, to bully the crap out of us, in hopes that we will believe his lies and embrace them as truth. It makes him feel big and important-- which are two things that he really isn't at all.
But back to the point, we are fighters by nature. We fought to make it to this life. We inherently know that we are progressing to something and in order to progress we must fight, battle, learn through living and grow through the grit of trial.
The problem with fighting is that it is hard, it is exhausting, and we often times lack the motivation that will get us comin' out with our game face on and our dukes up.
If you've ever played any sort of sport or ran a race, you might agree with me that motivation is key for your mental game, which I must add, is as equally important as your physical game. Sometimes that motivation is a song, or a quote, or a person or prize. It's been a myriad of things for me over the course of the last six or so years that I've been more physically active, but a current motivational theme for me would be music. A good playlist is very key to a successful workout for me. Tell me what person in American culture, or maybe even internationally, wouldn't recognize the movie Rockys theme song, Eye of the Tiger, and not feel the sudden urge to amp up? It's more of a feeling than even a melody and beats anymore. That's what certain songs can do for me mentally, to motivate me.
Songs like David Guetta, ft. Sia -"Titanium" (because after making it through some trials I really have felt like I have been shot down, but I didn't fall-because I AM titanium-). Alicia Keys- "Girl on Fire" (Tell me that song doesn't make you feel EMPOWERED!) and most recently, Katy Perry's "Roar" (that's like an anthem for really figuring out how strong you are and you want to show the world just how strong you are!)
In our church we have a semi annual conference that is a general meeting for not only the members of our church, but for the world if they should wish to watch, listen to or read the messages. One of my favorite talks from this past conference last month was by Elder Richard J. Maynes- of the Presidency of the Seventy. His talk, titled The Strength to Endure , stuck out to me as he related our spiritual strength and stamina, spiritual FITNESS if you will, as needing the same level of care, exercise and attention that is necessary to be physically strong. One of my favorite phrases from his talk:
"When we face adversity in life and our desire is to emulate the attributes of Jesus Christ, it is essential to be spiritually prepared. Being spiritually prepared means we have developed spiritual stamina or strength—we will be in good shape spiritually. We will be in such good shape spiritually that we will consistently choose the right. We will become immovable in our desire and ability to live the gospel. As an anonymous author once said, 'You must become the rock the river cannot wash away.'
Because we face challenges every day, it is important that we work on our spiritual stamina every day. When we develop spiritual stamina, the false traditions of the world, as well as our personal daily challenges, will have little negative impact on our ability to endure in righteousness."
I appreciate and reap the benefits everyday of my physical strength and care I take of my body. When I'm chasing after my three kids, when I'm trying to carry in ALL my bags of groceries at once, when I'm carrying around my 18 month old and multitasking as she is in her clingy stage, etc. And I'm thankful for a body that carries me where I need to go and helps me accomplish things. It makes me feel strong.
But, my spiritual strength is what really sustains me. What really carries the load. When I don't take the time to exercise it, it is evident in all aspects of my life. Everything is harder... and I am weaker. We are meant to be tough enough to fight through the trials of this life. Our spiritual capacities are way more than our physical could ever dream to be. It seems to me then, that the amount of spiritual exercising we should be doing would exceed our physical. I can't say I am doing that as literally as I may like as of now, but I am working toward it. Since I set my 30 goals, I have been more consistent at scripture reading and I feel good about it- but in comparison, it is still not as consistent as my gym time, or as long of a focused amount of time. However, the difference having that extra spiritual exercise everday has made in my life, is immeasurable!
So, my thought for the day is that I'm strong. You're strong. We're all strong. We are enduring this life and doing what we can to build our spiritual and physical muscles for the fight(s). And, man, I feel strong. And while that strength is evident in many facets of my life, the source of my strength is Jesus Christ and His Gospel.


0 comments:
Post a Comment