Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Baby Sign Language

I have seen so much in the past couple years about signing to your baby while they are learning to communicate verbally. My sister in law Marlo has been teaching her down syndrome little girl ever since I've been in the family, so I have learned a few signs like please, thank you, more, mom, dad...and all done or finished. So, pretty much the only one I've really remembered to do with Montana is "All Done" while I'm feeding her. For the past few months I've made the sign for all done, and then took her hands and did it with her, and then this past week she has started signing it by herself. Before, when she was full or sick of eating she would just turn her face or close her mouth and I knew she was done, but now, in addition to that, she makes the sign, so I know she knows what it means. It's exciting and it makes me want to teach her more!! Here is a video below of her doing it...she had done it prior to this with both hands and before my prompting, but by the time I got my phone to video her, I had to prompt her a little, and I only got a one handed attempt, but you get the idea...:)

1 comments:

Newman Family said...

Stacy, she is so cute. Miss you guys a lot. Come down and visit!!