Monday, August 02, 2010

21 Days: Reflections

As you may have noticed, I hadn't posted since day 16. I tried to. I wanted to. But, between this summer cold that has made its way through each member of our family now TWICE and has resulted in yet another horrible ear infection for my 4 month old, blogging was lower on the totum pole. I figured that it was better for me to take the time to accomplish the tasks I wanted, then to spend time writing about it on my blog. I will tell you (though you don't have to believe me) that I did accomplish many things days 17-21. A lot of progress was made, much could have been reported. However, I could also tell you (and you'd probably believe this), that there were plenty of things that left room for improvement. Items left unchecked. Not everything was accomplished everyday.


I will tell you though, that this past 21 Days (wow, now that I think about it, that went by fast...) has really been amazing. I was just telling Marc yesterday that it was such a journey to read out of the Closer to Christ book and feel my life through the topics. Like everyday, we were riding along the pages through this journey. I can't say it enough: I highly recommend this book. In fact, I am considering doing it all over again... but this time, I think I will do a "day" a week. Meaning, the book will take me 21 weeks to accomplish, but I feel like I'd like to spend more time on each of the topics and developing the attribute that is suggested.

As far as everything else goes, let me tell you what I feel I gained from this process.

Scripture Study- I have a new love for studying the scriptures. No really, I do...and I'll tell you why. It's because I realized that it's not the quantity of what you read. It's not even where you read. It's not about reading it order. It's about taking the time to read and making that sacrifice and then resolving to really study the words your reading, learn something from it and ponder it in your heart throughout the day. Even if its one verse. To me, you get more out of it than trying to read them cover to cover, to set some sort of record. Or to say that you did. That's why some days, I had to report that I didn't get to it. Because it won't work everyday and thats okay. Frequency and speed doesn't matter. It's your desire, intent and efforts that make the difference.

Prayer- I don't know how to write on this topic without tearing up. This is probably one of the most personal of all things for me to write on and throughout this process I haven't completely divulged everything I've felt happen for me regarding prayer. But I will tell you that I know with all that I am, that I know that we can speak with the Lord. I know that He hears us. I know that He cares. I know that He worries about us, plans for us, guides us and answers our prayers. Beyond a shadow of a doubt, I KNOW, just like the brother of Jared knew (see Ether Chapter 3), after He saw the finger of the Lord, (verse 19), "and he had faith no longer, for he know, nothing doubting." It's not even a matter of faith or the lack of it. It's a matter of knowing He is there and that I have the ability to converse with Him. What greater gift do we have than that? We never need to fear when we have that lifeline to hang on to.

21 Days Closer to Christ Book- As I've said before, don't expect the road to becoming closer to Christ to be easy. It is trying, which is exactly the point I suppose. As we strive to be better, we are faced with opportunity to put to use the characteristics and very principles we are trying to learn. As we grow closer to Him, more is expected of us. You can't undo knowledge. You can't unlearn what you already know. Be careful, because where much is given much is required and when you ask to be taught things that will ultimately better you, you are then expected to do and be better always. I'm grateful for receiving that gift, which is what I truly asked for. Sometimes it might be easier to just sit still and be content with where I'm at, but being stagnant won't bring me to where I need and want to be. Thanks to this process, I'm just a smidgen closer.

Physical Exercise/ Healthy Eating- I LOST 20 LBS!...PSYCH! Nope, in fact I don't think I moved much in either direction during this process. But, that wasn't the point either. The point for me to include this is to help me establish a way of life for my family. My husband and I have always made exercise a priority and for the most part healthy eating. Since the baby has come we have made a push to try to eat even better. There isn't really a point to dieting for me...or with unrealistic workout regimens, to be honest. If I'm not going to, or just plain can't, keep it up, then whatever I gain will never last. I would definitely consider the accomplishments in these categories a success. Raising awareness of what I am doing to take care of my body everyday is always important, and to be accountable for that through this process was a great thing for me.

30 Minutes with Montana- This was probably one of my most favorite things to focus on. I'm so glad I was able to make this a habit, and I plan on sticking to it for sure. I so enjoy my time with Montana and it makes an immense difference in our relationship, our home environment and her overall demeanor. The time and attention she receives really has meant so much to her. She is my princess and I love her so much.

Wake up at 6:30- Definitely this helped me to be in a better mood when my babies woke up. I'm not so much of a morning person, and so being up even just 20 minutes before they woke up would help me at least be in a good mood and be awake enough to start my day. I definitely enjoy being more of an "early to bed, early to rise" girl . Now if I could just work on the "early to bed" part.

Daily Chore- This definitely helped me to realized I spend too much of my day worrying about cleaning and making everything spotless. I like it that way, but I had an epiphany about how it was somewhat selfish of me to put off my kids in order to always make my house be (and stay) exactly how I wanted it all of the time. I always excused my obsessive tendencies when it came to keeping the house nice, with the fact that it was "for the family" and part of my "homemaker" job. Which, both of those things are true. But finding a balance for that is so important too, and I think this process helped me with that for sure.

Showing Spousal Love- This was again one of my favorites. It's so good to remind yourself why you built this life that your living. I have this gorgeous baby boy who's nursing in my lap at this very moment, and my little firecracker sweetheart Montana, all as a reflection of the wonderful man I married. Some days he makes me mad. Some days I make him mad. Somedays we let annoyances of the world get in the way of our love and affections and just to be more aware of the love we have for each other and the purpose of it all, was a huge help. He is forever my boyfriend and I hope he knows everyday how much I love and appreciate him.

THANK YOU- ...to all that read. To all that left words of encouragement. To anyone that supported me through this process. It has opened up a lot of things for me- made me realize what I am capable of accomplishing. It's made me also realize how much I miss writing and how much I love blogging. Granted, it won't be an everyday occurrence, but I do feel it's safe to say I'm back on the blogger wagon.

Will I keep this up? Well, creating habits was the point was it? For the most part, I think I've established healthy routines in my life that encompass all of the above things. Will I be checking off a daily checklist and evaluation sheet...no. Who has the time to keep that going?

Anyway, that's Stacy signing off for this 21 Day journey...thanks for coming along.

Now to go tend to this little cutie...

...who is suffering from an ear infection and vaccination shots today. Not a happy camper...

4 comments:

Holli said...

Hey Stacy - sorry to hear about the summer colds! We've had some stuff at my house too - I thought colds were for winter not summer!

Just thought I'd mention about recurrent ear infections in infants - breastmilk is a natural antibiotic and you can express it and put drops in your baby's ear. You can also get ear drops - if they have tea tree oil, that's a natural antibiotic too. Just something to try because I know antibiotics over and over in an infant messes with their immune systems! Also, if you are taking a probiotic it will pass through the milk to your baby and help strengthen his immune system. Just a couple ideas to maybe help!

The Closer to Christ book sounds great. Thanks for your thoughts on it. I'll have to look it up!

Holli said...

Hey Stacy - sorry to hear about the summer colds! We've had some stuff at my house too - I thought colds were for winter not summer!

Just thought I'd mention about recurrent ear infections in infants - breastmilk is a natural antibiotic and you can express it and put drops in your baby's ear. You can also get ear drops - if they have tea tree oil, that's a natural antibiotic too. Just something to try because I know antibiotics over and over in an infant messes with their immune systems! Also, if you are taking a probiotic it will pass through the milk to your baby and help strengthen his immune system. Just a couple ideas to maybe help!

The Closer to Christ book sounds great. Thanks for your thoughts on it. I'll have to look it up!

Rochelle said...

Hey Stacy,
We were gone for a couple weeks and came home and Carson and I had that fun summer cold last week, so I haven't totally kept up on your 21 days posts, but happy to see you are still at it. Looks like it is working out well!

Rachel said...

I'd like to read that book. I'd never heard of it. With all but one of my kids in school in a week I need to make sure my time is spent productively.