Sunday, August 15, 2010

Reunited and it Feels so GOOD!


Let me tell you about my friend, REM. She goes by REM sleep, full name being Rapid Eye Movement Sleep...but I call her REMmy. I love my REMmy. When I had Carson, she took a leave of absence from my life. It was understandable..she's not really good with babies. They both require my full attention and of course the baby had to be my first priority. She understood and I sent her off willingly. Not happily, but willingly.


Carson-boo is worth the sacrifice:

And so was my Tana Belle the last time REMmy left me:
The huge adoring eyes, the big chubby cheeks, the drooly chins- they all made the absence from dear REMmy a worthwhile experience.

However, it gets to a point that I know REMmy is ready to come back. That point was this last week when I decided it was time to let Carson "cry it out". I shut Montana's bedroom door, I shut the master bedroom door and turned off the monitor so Marc could sleep, and I shut myself and Carson in his room and set up camp on his floor for an excruciating night. I may have preferred gouging my own eyeballs out with a spoon over listening to my little lovebugs cry for me. I knew if I picked him up, he'd do his sweet nuzzle into my neck and start caressing my hair and sleep all the night long just like that. But, then I'd be done for. REMmy would never come back that way.

So, I endured the H-E- double hockey sticks that was the "cry out method" for one night. Sometimes REMmy's journey back takes a little longer than that, but the very next night, she came back! She kind of surprised me when I went to bed and it was dark and I woke up to the sun. No in between-just a straight shot of sleep. Before greeting her properly, I ran to make sure my baby was alive, and when I saw him sleeping soundly on his side, I comprehended that my REMmy and I...we had been REUNITED!

Sometimes she decides to leave. She doesn't like seeing the kids sick. She's not really a fan of vacation either; kind of a home body. I know in my future, I have times ahead of me when REMmy and I will be apart, but for now...I'm so excited, RAPID EYE MOVEMENT SLEEP, that you are back with me for a time. That we can now dream uninterrupted and my body can paralyze itself in your beautiful slumber.

4 comments:

Andrea S said...

Stacy, you crack me up. I can't for my personal REM to return.

Bird is the Word said...

SO cute and SO true!! The kids are worth it, but REMmy is SO worth it too! :) Glad you are reunited!!

Rochelle said...

YAY!!!! Amazing how much better you feel. Almost like a normal person again!

MissManda-Mae said...

I FEEL YOUR PAIN! All three of mine didn't sleep thru the night for the first year of life. the only reason why i continued to get up with them is because my milk supply goes down once they sleep thru the night and i love to nurse my babies.... so for the first year of all three i did the eyes half close zombie walk to the bedroom to find my little precious boys. At that year mark... I let them cry and it's so tuff... i camp out on the floor too.... glad i'm not the only one! way to go... welcome home REMmy!