For the past year or so, I have gotten really into running. I never, ever was really into it before and when I did it, it was just for exercise. And while exercise is my main purpose for running, it's also become a time for me to destress and relax, believe it or not. Being the second oldest of seven kids, the time and money wasn't available to be into sports AND music. I took inventory of my obvious strengths and weaknesses in those areas, and decided that while I really enjoyed sports, I was a better musician (especially because my favorite sport at the time was basketball and I was 5'1"). So, needless to say, aside from some church b-ball- I've never really been in any kind of sport. I would never have defined myself as an athlete, but since I've been running, I've really fallen in love with the feeling that athletes get when they accomplish their goals. The only difference is, you are mainly your own competition. It's all a mental game where you push yourself to your limits and beyond. At the beginning of this year, Marc and I joined a gym which made working out and running a little more convenient (I could now drop Miss Tana off in the gym care and not push a jogger) and so I decided I wanted to train for a half marathon. Even when I had found out I was pregnant, I continued to train because I wanted to accomplish this goal. After the miscarriage, I kicked it into high gear and I was READY for this half marathon.
Last Saturday, May 2nd- I ran my first HALF MARATHON! I set three goals for myself- to 1)Finish under 2 hours 20 minutes 2)Run the entire 13.1 miles 3)Finish in the top 1000 runners. And much to my own surprise, I met all my goals. No better feeling. The final results were:
Time: 2:03:02
Overall Ranking: 616 out of 1838 (top 33%)
Female Age Group 25-29 Ranking: 48 out of 207 (top 23%)
Average Mile Time: 9.24 minute miles
Average Mile Time: 9.24 minute miles
Details of my run: First off, it rained the entire time, but with my hat and waterproof jacket, it actually made for pretty nice running weather (except for the soaking wet feet). It was nice and cool and the rain was refreshing. Anyway, I started out and five minutes into it, I had to go to the bathroom. I told myself, if by the time I saw the 5th porta potty, I still had to go badly, I'd stop. And I said a little prayer-and I don't even remember thinking about porta potty's after the 2nd or 3rd one I saw. Around mile 5, my i pod started acting up and I started to panic. I can't run without music. Luckily, I got it working again. Around mile 8, I could feel my blister on the inside of my foot. Mostly a dull pain. By mile 10, I felt as though I was running on shards of glass and I looked down to see that blood was seeping through the mesh on my right shoe. At this point though, I had made it so far that I was willing to do whatever it took to finish the race running...and I did.
Now that it's over and I'm nursing my feet a bit- I'm getting ready to run the Race for the Cure 5K on Saturday with my wonderful husband and I could see competing in runs becoming an addiction for me. I can't say I'm ready to try a FULL marathon, but it's definitely an idea I'm toying with. In the mean time, I'll keep running-maybe a little less hardcore, because although I love to be a runner- I'd like to be a mother of two here soon! :)
I knew a lot of other women who ran the race as well- some from my old ward in Elk Grove whom I had a carb load dinner with the night before (thanks again ladies for the invite! It was so nice to catch up with you!) and then a bunch of women from my ward here in EDH whom I started out the race with. Here is a pic of most of the girls from my ward (I don't know what happened to Erin...I swore everyone was there for the picture! Bummer!)
Me, Julie, Amie and Jen! These girls did AMAZING in the race! Julie just had a baby about three or four months ago! Amie finished around 1:56! Jen, a Boston Marathoner, ran just coming off of having the flu and Erin (who sadly is not pictured) beat us all with a time of 1:53. Thanks ladies for your motivation, friendship and company!
Marc said I was going too fast (haha-yeah right) for action shots, so I don't have any of me running yet (there may be some from the course that the photographer got...I don't know yet).
The victory pose! I couldn't stop doing it-it just felt like the natural thing to do! :)
My very first athletic medal...and hopefully not last!!!
I was proud of myself. Sorry if that sounds cocky, but I was. I think you have to be proud of yourself every once in a while.
I think Marc was pretty proud of me, too. Okay, I know he was...it was a really cool feeling to see my husband be proud of ME for an athletic event for a change.

My little protoge...she told me she wanted to run the race too. One day, sweetie, we'll run together!

My amazing sister who came out in the rain to support me! And bring me sustenance. A banana never tasted so heavenly.

My mom came too-but due to parade traffic in Elk Grove, missed the finish by only moments. I didn't get a picture with her, but I'm grateful that I have a mom that always makes the efforts to be at all of her kids events.
And last of all-my lovely, soggy, bloody, blistery feet-(I know you're all DYING to see these pictures)
Overall it was amazing experience and I'm so excited to finally call myself a runner!

14 comments:
Gotta love western festival traffic!! You are seriously amazing and you are not being cocky at all! If I ever ran a half marathon the whole world would know about it! LOL...good for you Stace! You seriously are inpsiring!
WOW!! That is awesome, Good Job girl! That is definitley a triumph! and you sure did a number on your little toeseys! poor things it looked painful. (ps. dont spell check me here)
You should be proud of yourself. I'm proud of you. You did amazing and it's only your first race. Congrats again, you're an inspiration.
YEAH FOR YOU!!! great job, and great finish time! I am way proud of you! i was dying when I saw the pictures of your feet, what a super trooper!
Bekka and I ran a half marathon that same day in So. Cal. It was so much fun, I am definitely addicted. DisneyLand has one in September!!! Come run with us!
WAy to go!! You know how proud I am of you! You rocked it and you should be proud of it. So go ahead and tell everyone you know :) You should get a window back for the shirt and medal and the other stuff. Just a suggestion. Hope to see you soon
Way to go Stacy! That is awesome. I don't really ever have the desire to do a half marathon (nor a full one). I usually max out at about 6 miles (which is why I do tri's, most max out at 6).
Isn't the race environment so cool? Everyone is so encouraging and cheering you on! I love doing triathlons for that reason...everyone is so nice. Even as you pass someone, they tell you good job and encourage you on (or as they pass you too! haha.)
You should try biking! That is my all-time favorite 'stress relief, clear your head, get exercise' activity. Especially up the in the mountains here in Utah...beautiful and so exhilirating.
Again, way to go! and way to push through all the pain and finish all your goals! That is so awesome!
This is me TOTALLY proud of you! GO GIRL! What an accomplishment! I was on the Cross Country Team in High School and I played Soccer all 4 years, so I know what a Natural High Running can be! In my first race my Fresh year I ran JV, and got first place. (i too had to pee really bad, and i think that is why i ran a little faster...) I wish I lived in a better climate to run.... the Fresno Heat is killer! I have been enjoying early morning runs! ~ :)
Good job Stacy on meeting your goals! Not too many better feelings in life than that.
Erin told us the day after that you had run in the race too. . . sorry we missed you.
I had the blister bug bite me around mile 9/10 as well that slowed me down a good bit. Not fun. Good luck on your next race.
O-U-C-H! That looks painful!! I am so proud of you for finishing that! What an awesome accomplishment!
You are a crazy woman and I couldn't luv you more for it! Totally amazing!!! Keep up the great work darling! I am so proud of you! But I really think we should go get pedi's!!!!
Stacy you are a hord-core mama! Running is hard. Especially distance running. Your awesome blister reminds me of my sister Meghan's. When she ran a marathon a few years ago she had the most giant blister I had ever seen on her foot. Anyways, she ran sideways on her foot for like 10 miles. It ended up breaking one of the bones in her foot, and it wouldn't heal so they had to take it out! The things you runners do! Bravo, Stace.
You're amazing, Stacy! :)
Wow Stac, thats so cool. Good for you! I always thought of athletics as a physical battle, but I guess your right that it has more to do with your ability to conquer the demotivating thoughts in your head. Thanks for the inspiring story...gotta get to the gym and push a little harder. :)
Good for you! I too love to run, it is so therapeutic and a great way to take the stress off!
Post a Comment