A few mothers days ago, Marc's mom gave me an amazing book as a gift. I Am A Mother, by Jane Clayson Johnson. If you've ever wondered about the divine calling and role a mother plays, or most especially if you are a mother and doubt those things, I highly reccommend this book. I picked it up today to find some good quotes on mothers, and I realize, I need to read it again and be reminded once more the important work mothers do and also to remember and respect what was done for us by our own mothers.
I found multiple quotes I'd like to share with you...I could go on for days, but instead I just suggest reading the book.
Pulitzer-prize-winning author and mother Anna Quindlen -"If any of us engaged in the work of mothering thought much about it as the tast of fashioning the fine points of civilization, we would be frozen into immobility by the enormity of the task."
Meredith Gray, from The Beauty of Motherhood-
"I'd rather be a mother than anyone on earth
Bringing up a child or two of unpretentious birth...
I'd rather tuck a little child all safe and sound in bed
Than twine a chain of diamonds about my carefree head.
I'd rather wash a smudgy face with round, bright, baby eyes
Than paint the pageantry of fame or walk among the wise."
Elder Neal A. Maxwell, "When the real history of mankind is fully dsiclosed, will it feature the echoes of gunfire or the shaping sound of lullabies? The great armistices made by military men or the peacemaking of women in homes and in neighborhoods? Will what happened in cradles and kitchens prove to be more controlling than what happened in congresses?"
Maria Shriver, wife of CA Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger- In an interview with Oprah, she was explaining her agenda as the state's first lady and said that one of her goals is to "empower mothers'! How do we get women to stop saying, 'I'm just a mother'. Or, 'I used to be such and such, but now I'm just a mother? We need to market motherhood. so I came up with a saying 'Motherhood: 24/7 on the frontlines of humanity. Are you man enough to try it?'"
Oprah Winfrey-"In our society, we give motherhood plenty of lip service. We pat moms on the head, bring them flowers on Mother's Day, and honor them before crowds. But at the end of the day, we don't extend them the same respect we would a professor, a dentist, an accountant, or a judge. I believe the choice to become a mother is the choice to become one of the greatest spirituual teachers there is. To create an environment that's stimulating and nurturing, to pass on a sense of responsibility to another human being, to raise a child who understands that he or she is created from good and is capable of anything-I know for sure that few callings are more honorable. To play down mothering as small is to crack the very foundation on which greatness stands. The world can only value mothering to the extent that women everywhere STAND AND DECLARE THAT IT MUST BE SO. In our hands we hold the power to transform the perception of motherhood....We should no longer allow a mother to be decfined as 'just a mom'. It is on her back that great nations are built."
I am so honored and proud to be a mother. And if I accomplish nothing else in this life but raising my children, my life will be one of success beyond measure.
And in honor of my own mother for mothers day, I have to say, I could never have had a greater example of selfless service and sacrifice, unconditional love and devotion and honoring her sacred role as a mother. I am who I am today because of her and strive every day to be half the mother she is.
I am blessed to have so many great women in my life that I draw inspiration from as I learn to mother- my mother, my mother in law, my sisters, my sister in laws, my grandparents, aunts, cousins and dear friends. Thank you for honoring your divine callings as women (whether you are mothers yet or not) and emulating that importance in your lives. I am indebted to you.
Our Mothers Day Festivities
We first went to my families house- my brother Logan called home from his mission in Canada and it was such a blessing to talk with him.
Most of the "Petersen women" (besides Nicole and Tiffany who were in the other room)- From left- Ashley (David's fiance), Courtney, Mom, Me, Whitney and Sam (Logan's girlfriend).
My silly brother David
My beautiful, amazing mama and I
All my gorgeous sisters
A few of the happy couples....
The adorable kiddies
After some visiting with my family we headed over the the Rogers for a yummy dinner!
Most of the Rogers women (except for Meg whom we missed!)
Mom, Marlo, Monique, Grandma, Brooke, Me.
My honey and I
My baby and I
Grandma and I
Marc's Dad- I love this man! He's so animated and fun!
Some kid shots-
Madelyn, Montana and Megan

2 comments:
I'm glad you had a great Mother's Day!! You deserve it! Hopefully you're having a great time in Disneyland!
I read I am a Mother last year and it is a poerful book that is motivating and inspirational-I am Mother!
Post a Comment