Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Kids these days...

While I was working the other day, two of my nephews, Josh (Monique's oldest) and Justin (Marlo's oldest) were there working on a project for Michele, my mother in law. Michele is the head cook for the youth trek this weekend, and has had to do a lot of preparation to feed 300+ people out in the woods with very little resource. It's been weeks of pre-cooking meats, and treats, etc. Anyway, one of the object lessons/snacks is that each person is going to be given a sandwich bag with 1/2 cup of flour in it, and a stick of beef jerky. This is to help them to realize that the pioneers were given the 1/2 cup of flour as a daily ration for food, and how little food they had to live off of. Anyway, Josh and Justin were enlisted to help bag the flour. I had the pleasure of listening to them for a couple hours and even snapped a few pictures of them being silly. Just after having listened to them talk about school, the upcoming trek, girls and then of course, a bunch of nonesense jokes and talk that didn't make any sense to me (or probably anyone over the age of 14), I just realized what good kids they are! These boys do a ton to help in their families, they hang out with each other and other good kids and go to church activities. They are excitied about scouts and the youth trek. I'm just really proud of them, and it made me think too about my younger brother and sister who are teenagers, as well as all the Young Women I've worked with over the last few years, and I realized how grateful I am for the church being there. Because of the Gospel in their lives, and the organization of this church, our youth have places to go where they can be safe from the evils that are lurking in the middle schools and high schools (and i'm sure even elementary schools). Because of this Gospel, they know who they are, they know right from wrong, and they make good choices. I pray for these kids and the things they will encounter in the next few years, but I know they are being taught the right things. Amidst all the goofiness of the adolescent boy talk...these priesthood holders really made me proud to be their aunt that day. Covered in flour, with plastic bags on their head and all!

2 comments:

Newman Family said...

Oh my gosh, those boys are too funny. They crack me up. On 4th of July they were sitting in the swing out back talking away. You know me being the nosey aunt started listening. Talking at about girls and such. Pretty soon they could tell I was listening and looked at me and said, "What??" "oh nothing I said it's just weird to here my nephews so old that they would talk about Girls..." Justin said, " Well we are in Middle School....." and then turned back to Josh and kept right on in the conversation. Funny.....
Meg

Carter Family said...

Thank you Stacy for being such an awesome Aunt this weekend. We had such a wonderful experience at the Trek... and truly could not have done it without you and Marc (well, mostly you :)) watching our kids. We really appreciate you both... and your love of us, and desire to help! I know it's not easy with 5 kids! :) Thanks for running them to football and everything you did! You both are awesome brother and sister-in-law!
Love, Marlo