Monday, April 28, 2008

Sutter's Fort

A few weeks ago we went with my family to a "market" type of thing at Sutter's Fort. They had all sorts of displays and of course period memoribilia and clothing to buy. Since Marc and I are going on the Youth Trek this summer as a Ma and Pa, my dad as a Captain, and my two younger siblings attending, we thought it might be a good place to get some ideas and maybe buy some things to wear on the trek. For the trek, you have to dress in the pioneer garb. I went crazy with the pictures. I was in this deep reflection on how simple times were back then, and it was just so cool to me how everyone had their trade, and they were happy to be good at their thing and share with everyone else. I'm sure you had the occasional over acheiver, but for the most part, they all did their part to help and they all chipped in so they could survive and have what they needed.

Candlestick Maker Blacksmith
Um, guy who makes saddles? SaddleGuy? Carpenter
Pretty glad these aren't required on the trek! Represent!

The food looked really good...it made me excited for the food Brother Meyers and his team will cook while on the trek.


Us... Me and Whit...

Tana was so good about wearing her hat to keep her shaded from the sun. She called it her "pretty".



We all tried on some cool hats...


Oooh...scared of them! :) Four of the seven...


Me and Mama....it's rare that she'll pose for a picture, so I have to post it when I can get one. Love her!

6 comments:

Van Duren Family said...

Love all the pics. It was great to see you this weekend! I am excited for your trek. I have went on a couple and they are amazing. You two will be the most darling Ma & Pa on the trek for sure! :) Love you!

RachelBarker said...

How fun. I love that kind of stuff that bring you back down to reality and make you appreciate what you have. What amazing people they were back then, they are inspiring people. America needs to look back on our ancestors and become more like them. Love your thoughts!

Simon Kirschman said...

Hey you,

Glad you found my blog. It is fun to read about what you are doing. I am excited to be able to stay in touch. I have thought of you often. I wish that I could meet you husband and your cute little girl. Maybe some day. Anyway- lets keep in touch.

Simon Kirschman said...

Hey you,

Glad you found my blog. It is fun to read about what you are doing. I am excited to be able to stay in touch. I have thought of you often. I wish that I could meet you husband and your cute little girl. Maybe some day. Anyway- lets keep in touch.

Scott said...

Is that my father-in-law you are talking about? Yes, the food should be delicious on the trek! I wish that we could come. It sounds like it's going to be a lot of hard work and fun.

Unknown said...

Oh, I love Sutters Fort, I grew up going there, and you guys are going to have a blst on the trek!