At Montana's 2 year well baby check, my pediatrician listened extra long to her heart.
At first I didn't think about it, then as she got quieter and kept moving the stethascope around, I got a little worried.
She said to me, "Has anyone ever told you she has a heart murmur?" I said, "No. Never." I have heard heart murmur a million times. My sister had one, I had one, so and so had one, so and so's kid had one. At this point, I'm not freaking out.
The doctor says, "Hmmm. Really? Because it's really loud."
"No. This is the first I've EVER heard of it." Starting to get a little more worried. No freak out-no tears, just concerned. No one wants to hear that their baby has something wrong, especially with a vital organ. But, murmurs are common, I kept telling myself.
Then, she said, "Well don't worry. Murmurs are very common. 95% of kids get them from ages 0-18 at some point, and they correct themselves." Phew. We're good then....
"But..."
BUT?
"...hers is REALLY loud!"
K, I'd held my composure long enough. I'm trying REALLY hard in my life to be less emotional, less dramatic...less waterworks at the drop of a hat. But, when she said, "LOUD" again, with that concern on her face, tears welled in my eyes.
"Okay. So, what does that mean?" I asked.
"Well, I'm sure its just a normal murmur, but I want her to see a cardiologist right away. She may need an EKG...just to make sure everythings okay," she explained.
"I'll take the soonest appointment possible," I said, as I wiped my eyes and decided that there was no reason to freak out until I had REAL, factual news.
Today was Montana's appointment with the Pediatric Cardiologist. The nurse decided to wait on the EKG until the doctor listened to her heart. No sense trying to undress her, stick 13 stickers with wires on her and make her sit still for 5 seconds, when she wasn't even willing to get her weight and height measured easily.
The doctor listened to her heart, and after asking Montana if she had a frog for breakfast (very nice man), told me that Montana has an innocent heart murmur. Very common, as my pediatrician said. He said, instead of her heart sounding like a "Lub-Dub", it's like "Lubswish-Dub", which is just meaning he can hear her blood moving through like water through a pipe. He said on the contrary to this being a concern, its actually an indication that she has a very strong heart, and should be an excellent athlete.
"Definitely put her in sports," he said.
"Daddy will be so glad to heart that!" I said to Montana.
I said a quiet prayer in the car on my drive to the Med Center... and the best possible outcome happened. Not only that, I'm proud of myself for not prematurely freaking out and causing a lot of undue stress for something that was not even an issue.
BLESS HER HEART...it's what keeps mine beating!
Anaconda?
1 year ago

13 comments:
Aww... cute post! Don't worry, I would have totally freaked out about something like that. You handled the situation VERY well, and I'm glad to hear there is nothing wrong with her little heart!
I'm so glad that nothing is wrong with her heart. That is such a scary thing to hear that something could be wrong, though. Good thing it actually turned out to be great news!
You did wonderful! That causes for a freak out. There is nothing worse than something wrong with our little ones. At that moment nothing else matters. From fevers, to throwing up to heart murmers to whatever. But she has a strong heart! One of the greatest gifts to be blessed with. Daddies little athlete!
I know how you feel Stace, I freak out and my heart stops beating when my pediatrician says that she has an earache. This happened to me when before Kamryn was born, when I had an ultrasound, they heard something unusual. I was so upset couldn't stop the tears from flowing. Isn't it funny that these 25lb little people can be the very reason for our existence? I'm so glad that everything is better than fine.
I think I would be freaking out way more! You are so calm! I'm so glad that she's ok..what a sweet girl!
I'm so glad Montana's heart is good and strong. I started to tear up at the end. You are such a good mommy Stacy!
what a sweet post...you illustrated the unconditional love that a mother has for her child. i'm glad Montana is okay!!!
I'm glad everything is good Stace! Rand and I both had heart murmurs growing up as well. Funny how an irregularity with a vital organ can be 'no big deal'...but we are both good! :o) And maybe the doc is onto something with this athletic thing...it's worked for both Rand and I! haha!
I kept thinking of her and meant to ask you..Anyways, I'm glad she is ok and perfect. And I would be a wreck if I were in your situation, it's normal.
Oh, I'm so glad she's fine. And athletic! Good job staying calm. I always freak out. I'm trying to improve on that, but I'm a Meaker, it's part of my make-up.
We are TOO alike! I still cry when she gets shots, I got good, but I think with the Pregnancy the TEARS are back! Glad to hear she will be ok! We are SO blessed to have healthy little athletes! ~
I love this post stace!! I'm so glad she is more than ok! I love that little chickie!
I'm glad that it is nothing serious! Good job for not freaking out though.
Post a Comment