Friday, December 12, 2008

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas

This time last week, it felt like I was "faking" Christmas. What I mean by that is, it felt that even though all the decorations were up and the christmas carols were on my radio and my blog, wrapped presents for Montana were under the tree and it was FREEZING outside, I just couldn't understand how it could ALREADY be Christmas. I mean, there was no way that it could already be here, could it? Wasn't it just barely the end of summer? Halloween and Thanksgiving flew by, and all the sudden it was the Christmas season. I was in denial. But I didn't want to be...I wanted to feel the Christmas spirit, but no matter how hard I tried, it felt a little fake. I felt like I was trying to pretend it was Christmas when it really wasn't.

Then, last Sunday, we sang Christmas carols in Sacrament meeting. Also, my Relief Society president gave an amazing lesson on the Savior, the reason for the Christmas season. Then, Marc's side of the family did FHE and his sister gave a wonderful lesson about Christ and we watched the Nativity. As well, I picked up the Ensign for this month and was FILLED with the Christmas spirit by reading all the wonderful stories and the prophets message. And it all started coming together. Marc had suggested maybe my "Christmas funk" had to do with the fact that I hadn't bought him a single present yet...haha, no that wasn't it. I don't know what exactly it was, but the opportunity to focus on the Savior and the point of this holiday all together, helped me to feel the Christmas spirit, and now, "It's Beginning to Look (and FEEL) A Lot Like Christmas!"

We put our tree up a week or so before Thanksgiving...this is some of what Christmas looks like around our house...

It smells like Christmas now too- since I spent the entire day baking cookies and fudge yesterday!

Nothing brings the Christmas spirit better than service. This week my side of the family joined their wards mutual night, caroling at Shriner's Children's Hospital. My little sister Tiffany has had all of her surgeries there and so we decided as a family, we wanted to go sing to the children. There weren't many that were able to come listen to us, but I'm grateful we got to show the ones that did that we care about them and hopefully bring them a little Christmas cheer!

Montana and Andalyn loved the elves in the lobby of the hospital:

Aunt Nicole and Ryan
We stood in the lobby below, and the children and parents would come to the edges of the balconies on the above floors to look down and listen to our songs.
Our family at Shriner's

Yes, it is Christmas time. And thank heavens for the wonderful blessings and Spirit this season brings. Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Dave and Courtney said...

I can't believe it is that time of year already too...and only 2 weeks away! We had a great time at Shriners with everyone! We need to make that a tradition. oh and thank you for the yummy treats....we loved them!

Cristi said...

you spent the entire day baking!? look at you go!!