Thursday, February 05, 2009

happy berfday

Today is a very special persons birthday. My dear sweet sister and friend, Courtney. I can't say enough good things about my amazing sister. She is one of the best people I know and I have never met one person who would ever disagree with that...it's a fact. I wanted to be her growing up and she still inspires me everyday to be a better person.

So, Court-there are too many things to say about you, so I thought, it being your 29th, I'd list 29 of my favorite memories with my longest friend ever...
In completely random order...(and some of these won't make any sense to anyone but you!)

1. Playing office and using a skateboard as our fax/email/etc. to get papers back and forth from our "desks".

2. You letting me hang out with you and your friends, even though I was a freshman and you were all seniors and older. It made me feel really cool.

3. Your evil twin "Cortez" who'd come out when you babysat. Okay, maybe that's not a favorite memory but I can't help but think about it. I really thought she was a real person.

4. Our "special" Barbie- "Whittley".

5. The state fair with you riding in the wheelchair..."Would you like some cheese?"

6. Taking turns putting barretts and rubberbands in Dad's hair.

7. Idaho. Everything about Idaho...how close we got. How we were each others shoulders to cry on. And we needed to cry just about everyday in Idaho.

8. Speaking of Idaho-specifically the one time you spent the night at my aparment and stayed in Julia's room. We stayed up talking about our stupid boyfriends that made us cry and eating Easter candy mom had mailed to us. That night is forever engrained in my mind as the night we became not only sisters but true friends that understood each other. All age barriers ended that night and I think you'd agree.

9. When we were back in Sac and Young Adults in the same ward with virtually all the same friends. It was like a dream come true to be in the same "group" as my older sister.

10. Seeing your gorgeous face the day you were married. I've always admired your beauty and that day you re-defined what the word beautiful even meant! You were a vision in white.

11. Being able to witness the birth of Andalyn. It was such a new experience for every single one of us there and it was so special. Thank you for letting me experience that.

12. Going to visit you in New Mexico. I had so missed having you around. I'm SO glad you came back-you don't even know.

13. When we both finally lived close enough to hang out again. It's been so nice to be so close to you-I'm sad there will be a little more distance between us here soon, but so glad that it's only Citrus Heights and not New Mexico.

14. You and mom helping me in the bridesroom of the temple on my wedding day. Such a perfect place and perfect moment to spend with two of the most influential women in my life.

15. The drive to Idaho to visit aforementioned stupid boyfriends. It was probably one of the hardest times in my life and I don't think I would have made it through with anyone but you.

16. Your speech to Marc and I at our wedding reception. It touched both of us so deeply and helped us to know that you stood by us eternally and that you understood we were meant to be together.

17. Being there through all 30 hours of my "labor & delivery" experience. It meant so much to me that you came to California early so as not to miss it and you were there for virtually every second of it. That's a sister!

18. The day I finally convinced you to get a blog and sucked you into the obsessive abyss of the blogging world. Even though you live five minutes away, I love reading your posts!

19. You coming home with warm breadsticks when you worked at pizza bell. MMM.... that was the best!

20. Seeing you pray and make the decision to go on a mission and being there to watch you enter the MTC. It was hard to let you go knowing you'd miss my graduation but was such an example of strength and righteousness that I needed.

21. Seeing how diligent you were when you came home from your mission sick and tried so hard to get back out. Again, such an example of faith, diligence, strength and righteousness. I dream to be half the woman you are.

22. Meeting up for lunch when you worked at Parasec and I worked at Liberty Mutual. Sometimes we only had 10 minutes to spend together, but it was worth the drive and the traffic to hang out with you.

23. Still meeting up for lunch now and wondering everytime if we'll have a chance to just sit and talk like we did in the above situation- but loving every minute of being busy mothers!

24. Trading babysitting and helping each other out since we live so close. I know if I ever need anything- like a humidifier in the middle of the night or a "house call" after my "heart attack", you guys are there for us.

25. Rear-ending you at Watt and Hurley. Still not a favorite memory...but one I will never forget nonetheless. Seriously, I cannot drive over there without thinking about it. I will never forget you jumping out of your car to come see if I was okay and me with mascara all down my face, sobbing "Is it my fault? Is it my fault?" and you not being able to understand me, "What? Your foot?? What's wrong with your foot? Is it stuck?" Definitely not a fun experience after the insurance would only cover one car since we shared coverage, and the chiropracter appointments- but almost six years later I can now sit back and laugh. It was totally my fault.

26. Hanging out in your little apartment in Idaho Falls, laying on your bed on the floor watching "My Big Fat Greek Wedding".

27. Finally moving back home after Idaho and Mom coming to pick us up. Poor Mom had to deal with two over emotional girls the whole drive back! :)

28. Our pulling hair fights as kids. I'm surprised we're not bald.

29. Our talks. Nothing compares. Nuff' said.

I love you so much and I look forward to 29 more years of wonderful memories. Thank you for being my sister and friend. Happy Birthday!

4 comments:

Dave Petersen said...

Very nice Stacy... I love being a dad to all my girls. You guys bring tears aj joy to me on a regular basis.

Dave and Courtney said...

Ok, so Im sitting here laughing and crying as I read these memories! I love you stacy and thank you for loving me so much! You will never know what that means to me!

Brenner Family said...

That was such a sweet post for your sis! Happy Birthday!

~Anngela Schroeder said...

Wow, you make me wish I had a sister! Happy Birthday Courtney!
~Anngela