Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Children's Program Critics

So, in the past two years, Marc and I have seen and heard a lot of childrens programs and movies. Everything from the very first Baby Einstein video...now to full length Disney movies. Montana definitely loves her shows and movies. It's so fun to hear her sing the songs and say the lines!

You know the saying, "Through the eyes (or ears) of a child?" And how we view things differently? Well, its funny being the other way around... to now be adults, viewing child programs or re-watching Disney movies we've watched our whole lives, and finally comprehending something.

For example, in Aladdin, in the scene where Jafar has "controlled"the Sultan with his serpent staff, and the Sultan has just told Jasmine that she will wed Jafar, Jafar says something to the effect, "You're speechless I see...a fine quality in a wife."

HA HA!

Never ever noticed that before. Jafar was already a jerk, but that took it to another level!


Another example, which again comes from Aladdin (that was her favorite last month). Marc and I have both raised the question, "If Jafar could steal the lamp and start making wishes, why couldn't Aladdin make his last wish (in the very end) to become a prince, and then give Jasmine the lamp and she could wish the Genie free??" I mean, it all ended well, because it is Disney and happily ever after and such...but come on. They could have had THREE more wishes and still set the Genie free. Come on...some common sense here, Aladdin. Yikes...and you're set to become the Sultan of Agrabbah?? :)

So, aside from the movies, our TV frequents the Disney and Nickelodeon channels. Here are some thoughts from Marc on a few of Montana's favorites from these networks.

MICKEY MOUSE CLUBHOUSE:
1) "Have you ever noticed Daisy is flirting with Mickey? Seriously, watch the episode where he saves her when she's carried away by the balloons. You should see the way she looks at him and thanks him. Someone should tell Minnie to watch her best friend around her man."

2) "You know Goofy knows how to say 'Mousketools'. It's so annoying how he always says it wrong."


MAX AND RUBY:
1)Marc: "Poor Max. Ruby is so mean to him."
Me: "Marc, she's his big sister...she's just trying to help him."
Marc: "No...he gets blamed for everything. It's not fair. Besides, he's a kid."
Me: "She's not mean to him. She's just a big sister."
Marc: "No. She's mean...I don't like her."


2)"Where in the heck are their parents? I mean the Grandma comes to visit every once and a while, but come on, she's like a seven year old raising a three year old. Someone needs to call CPS on their parents."



HANDY MANNY:
1) "I just wish Manny and Kelly would get together already. It's obvious they like each other. He's always saying stuff like, 'You always have just what I need, Kelly' And she says, 'Anything for you Manny'. She just needs to admit to herself that she has the hots for the handy man."
2) "Mr. Lopart would just save himself a lot of trouble if he'd just let Manny help him every once in a while."



THESE ARE ALL ACTUAL CONVERSATIONS THAT WE'VE HAD! HAHA
Don't ask us what happened on "Survivor" or "Heroes" or any of those popular shows. But quiz us on any episodes of the above shows and more, and we've got in analyzed from every angle!

10 comments:

Bird is the Word said...

I love it! We watched Aladdin with Hailey just last week, and I wondered the SAME thing!! Are they really that stupid to not realize they should just pass the Lamp on??
So here, it we find a magic lamp... we PROMISE to pass it on to you after our three wishes... deal??

Dave and Courtney said...

I love this post!! I have had the same thoughts and conversations with Dave! :) Where are Max and Ruby's paretns!?!!?

Katie & James Shannon said...

this makes me laugh, I can sing every single backyardigans song, and Jayden can tell me a little bit of what happened on one of them and I can find it off the DVR for him. Currently we have every single mickey mouse recorded, and have about 1/3 of them memorized along with 19 imagination movers (if you haven't had to watch that be thankful), and 24 super why's (cbs I think) it is pretty cool. And a million dora's and backyardigans. Isn't it terrible you can't get those thoughts out of your mind they take over your life. But when you can see them sing and dance and interact with the characters and see they are truly happy it makes it all worth it. I especially love when they sing, so I always watch montana's video's she is so cute.

Eric, Sammy, & Kami said...

Eric and I have watched Cinderella and The Little Mermaid a hundred times and we notice something new almost every time. The JOYS of having a two year old. Love you.

Heather said...

James and I were laughing at your conversations. Most of the shows you talked about we had never heard of. So funny how being parents changes your choice of TV shows. We could tell you a bunch about Chuck and Knight Rider. :)

Shara said...

What's funny is while I am reading your post I am totally agreeing :) hahaha yea I never realized scary parts of movies either until Kaylee started watching them. She was watching little mermaid and kind of freaked out when the shark attacks and any time Ursala comes on screen, it was funny. And Shane and I daily always laugh about how obsessed Kelly is with Manny. HELLO! hahaha the things that happen when you are a parent!!

Scot and Jenny said...

This made me laugh! You guys are so funny!

Bacchus Family said...

I think Manny is married. I have a crush on that show and I have seen a picture of Manny with a lady and a kid! That is why Manny ignores Kelly's advances. Manny is a family man.

Jen said...

YES YES YES!!!!! Kev and I talk about Kelly and Manny ALL the time when Kayson is watching it. Now I can hear Kayson in there by himself saying,"Oh Manny, just kiss her already." Hee hee, we've created a maniac =). Go to my blog for the colors you should get. I put it in the side bar under Stacy Colors. The one's on top are MUST HAVES for you and then they filter down =).

Unknown said...

I have continually asked where Max and Ruby's parents are. I thought I was the only one. Too funny! My husband thinks that Kelly is crushing on Manny, too. He comments that she never lets him pay for anything. It also seems that Mr. Lopart likes Manny. He never wants him to help (like you mentioned) and he is always boasting to Manny how strong, smart and talented he (as in Mr. Lopart) is. Wow, I think I watch this stuff too much! My daughter loves it. Actually, she REALLY loves the opening songs. She likes to watch the shows from time to time, but the songs are what really draws her in. She loves to dance to them :)