Monday, June 23, 2008

Bad Mom...(and my 100th post...how special)

***Disclaimer…I know I am not a bad mom. I am a great mom. I’d do anything for my baby, and pretty much do. She’s definitely loved and cared for, but I think every mom (especially young mom’s with their first child) go through a time when they say… “I’m a bad mom”…even though we know we aren’t. I am learning…but I thought I’d share, because, for me, that’s part of the learning process. Comments and advice welcome…but no need to tell me I’m not a bad mom. I truly know this!:) ***

It is one o’clock in the afternoon; I haven’t showered, I haven’t bathed my baby. At about eleven I finally thought to brush my teeth. When Montana woke up this morning, I let her play in crib for like twenty minutes while I finished balancing the checkbook, only to get her up, give her a little bit of lovin’, and then sit her down with a “faffle” (waffle) to be baby sat by a mouse, a Mexican handy man and a bunch of little kids in a rocket ship (Mickey Mouse Club House, Handy Manny and Little Einsteins) while I packed. Okay, okay…and blogged. I know you can see the time stamp on my last six blogs.

Hey, at least I got her dressed for the day…sort of. That’s more than I can say for myself thus far.

After she tired of television, we turned on some Justin Timberlake and “Rocked Our Bodies” while Mommy pretended to play with her, but sneaking in some packing in between dance moves. I fed her some lunch and then put her down for a nap. And then I packed. And packed. And packed. I had to take a break to do something, and since pretty much the only conversation I’ve had today is with a 19 month old, I thought I’d blog….my uh, seventh or eighth post of the day…about how I feel like a bad mom. I know I’m not, I just feel like it at the moment. And because I feel like that, of course I can bring to reference a few recent examples…

*She ate a whole Milky Way leaving Target on Saturday. The idea was to give her a bite, so that she’d stop freaking out because the checker was taking all of our stuff (she thinks the check out stand people are taking her stuff, since its in her cart. This is the scenario at EVERY store, EVERY time…freaks out), so we bought a Milky Way and I go to give her a bite. No, no…she’s nineteen months, she can do EVERTHING by herself. So I then realize now to take the Milky Way away, I would have made her fit that much worse. By the time we get to the car she’s already a chocolatey mess, mixed with the 100 degree weather, and it’s pretty much gone. So I left her to suck on the wrapper. In Marc’s defense, he was there, but he was angry about the situation. Bad Mom Move.

*She got a small sunburn on her back…I rubbed a massive amount of sunburn on her back the other day when she was swimming, but I missed some spots right around her straps, because I didn’t pull the straps down to lather. Every good mom knows to pull the straps down first to apply sunscreen. Well, I know now. Bad Mom Move.

*I JUST realized, she’s close to 20 months, and I haven’t taken her in for her 18month check up and immunizations. I had taken her because she was sick like two weeks before she turned 18 months, so I know she is okay, but still…I feel like a slacker because I completely forgot until I read a friends blog who just took their baby for a check up. Bad Mom Move.

*She burned her leg on my flat iron yesterday. I was getting her ready for church and put her up on the counter to do her hair, in my bathroom. My younger sister was over because she wanted to go to our ward and go to Marc’s Sunday School class, so she was getting ready in the other bathroom. I am ALWAYS super careful with what she has in her reach, and I noticed that the curling iron was in reaching distance, out of the corner of my eye, but I hadn’t used it, so I didn’t move it. She reached over, and I could see that she was grabbing it and saying “Hot!” in an informative tone…not a painful one. I said, “Yes, hot…don’t touch”, because even though it wasn’t hot, I want her to think it is, so that she doesn’t touch it when it is. I hadn’t realized that Whitney had brought my flat iron back in that she had borrowed and set it down there next to the curling iron. Then all the sudden she says, “Hot! Hot!" (not informatively, but painfully) and starts to cry, and I realized she had pulled the flat iron down into the sink where her feet were, and I pulled it out only to see that she had a burn on her ankle. Stupid. Bad Mom Move.

Ultimately, she’s loved, safe, happy, and healthy….and I feel good about my efforts. This week has been very crazy with getting ready to move this weekend, and so I know when we get into a better routine, I will feel less hair brained, but for now, I guess I just thought I’d put it out there that this week, I think pulled a few Bad Mom Moves.

15 comments:

Katie & James Shannon said...

Oh stacy, If you only knew the things that went on in my house. Almost all of those kinds of things happen to at least one of my children on a daily basis. The sunburns, the wondering if my kids have had a bath this WEEK!! Being on the computer and not hearing a sound and wondering if my son has suffocated of is sitting on my babies head!! Them eating lunch at 5:00 or not getting them out of bed until 10:30. So I wouldn't feel bad at all, we all have our feel like a bad mom moments and if someone tells you they don't they are probably the worst ones.

Katie & James Shannon said...

Oh stacy, If you only knew the things that went on in my house. Almost all of those kinds of things happen to at least one of my children on a daily basis. The sunburns, the wondering if my kids have had a bath this WEEK!! Being on the computer and not hearing a sound and wondering if my son has suffocated of is sitting on my babies head!! Them eating lunch at 5:00 or not getting them out of bed until 10:30. So I wouldn't feel bad at all, we all have our feel like a bad mom moments and if someone tells you they don't they are probably the worst ones.

Unknown said...

Montana is so adorable and I can tell just by seeing you and Marc and your blog that you guys are so in love with her! I can't even imagine when I am a mom...and Shawn is a dad...our poor kids! Are you guys moving already?? How exciting!

Dave and Courtney said...

All mom's make bad mom moves! It's part of life. We learn and move on, and they will never remember it. We make up for it with all our hugs, kisses. In their eyes we are superwomen. We can make anything "all better".

Maran said...

You posted a lot of blogs, but I am only going to comment on this one because I would be here all night commenting if I tried to comment on all of them. Thank you for posting all of them, though. I love reading them.

Being a first time mother is hard, but it's a learning experience for all of us. There are many times that I feel like a horrible mother, but we have to remember that we all make mistakes.The first kid usually gets it the worst. Thank goodness I was the last:) Maybe that's why God makes us forget our early years so that we don't remember the mistakes our parents made with us when we were tiny.

Cristi said...

Ok. So I have a story to relate with every story you just posted. I think we, or at least I, put pressure on myself to do everything perfectly and always have a harmonious balance, but it's just not realistic sometimes I think.

Sara Marie said...

I'm sorry but that blog made me laugh! I love you! And really, these are things that you are going to be able to tell Montana aboput when she's older. You'll both get a good laugh! Please tell me you got a picture of her eating that candy bar covered in chocolate!

Newman Family said...

Hey, I know that you don't need to here this but you aren't a bad mom. I think all of us at one time or another have done all those things. In fact as I read that I remembered all the times that I did that to one or all of my children.
Tyler use to eat in his high chair in front of the t.v so he would eat better
I've burned Molly several times with the curling iron to the point that she doesn't trust me now to curl her hair.
And because all my children have dark skin but Ellee, I always forget to put sunscreen on her. She has burned several times. At least now she is old enough to remind me she needs sunscreen.
Who's the bad mom now.......?????
By the way I had a super fun time going to the park with you guys and hanging out. I want you to come down with dad!! Forget about all the unpacking you have to do and just come. It will be there when you get back!
Meg

Heather said...

I think it's ok to have good mom days and bad mom days. I think it's part of parenthood. Montana is happy, healthy, smart and everything she is supposed to be at her age. Not to mention adorable! We saw her and Marc in the hall on Sunday and she was so fun to watch. We will miss seeing you guys at the building when you move!

Carter Family said...

Welcome to the club of "Bad Moms"... wait until your kids can tell you they don't like you! It's like a kick in the mouth! :)Yes, order your copy through Amazon! I can't wait!!! I'm glad you enjoyed Host. I miss talking to you! :)

Kara said...

No worries, I figure it builds character! :) (Kaila had a great time with you on the Trek, thanks for taking care of her)!

Kara said...

Hey, I figure it helps build character for them :) (Kaila had a great time with you on the Trek, thanks for taking care of her!)

Eric, Sammy, & Kami said...

Holy Crap, I blink my eyes and I have all these posts to get caught up on. I of course have to read every single line on them too. I don't have enough time, so why don't you write me a comment every time you put on a new post. Better yet tell me how you do the thing where it tells you when last the person posted something new? I love every post though. Tana counting is adorable...and brilliant. You are the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of a bad mom. You are amazing, just that you think that makes you the BEST mom ever, that you want to be better even though you don't have much to improve on. Seriously though I could tell you some stories, but would rather not because I cry just thinking of them. Where are you moving??? I wish I lived closer so I could help you out, watch Montana or something. We need to get together.
P.S Sorry for the essay, miss you.

RachelBarker said...

So I don't have any experience at being a "MOM" but you are an amazing mom. Montana loves you and every time you have to go in to close the garage door she cries for you. But I think she's getting used to me and my weird faces i make to make her not cry.

just us said...

Everything you mentioned happens to me EVERYDAY. The chocolate, the sunburn, the burn, and then some. You're doing a wonderful job as a mom. If none of that stuff happened. . then you need to worry! Heee Heee! :o)