Monday, October 13, 2008

Preserving and Protecting the Sanctity of Marriage

Most of you who regulary read my blog are very familiar with the topic of this post. But for any of you who may not be, I wanted to share a few things that I think are important.

In a few weeks, our nation and state will be voting on some very important issues, as well as electing new leaders. It's a CRUCIAL election year, to say the least. And for my home state, the state of California...there is a Proposition on the ballot that if not passed, will change our history, our lives and the lives of our future generations.

Proposition 8 is the same 14 words California voters approved before, but this time it would be put into our constitution:

"Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California."

We voted on this before, and 61% of California voters said "YES" to marraige as a man and a woman. The only reason we are voting on this again is because 4 San Francisco based judges over ruled that....which is why were are voting on it again. But like I said, after this vote, if Proposition 8 passes...it will be a constitutional amendment and would not have the ability to be over ruled.

So you see why this is SO important!

Many of the arguments against this proposition accuses its supporters of being discriminatory. While I can understand why others might feel this way, I'd like to explain why I support this Proposition.

As an American, I feel that I have the right to teach my child what I believe to be right from wrong. Morally, I believe in the sanctity of marriage being between a man and a woman, and that it is ordained of God to be such. I believe that this is the union in which a child deserves to be born and raised. Proposition 8 to me is about protecting the innocense of children and preserving the sanctity of marriage...not discriminating against homosexuality. The reason I feel this is a fair argument, is because Proposition 8 does not take ANY rights away from gay or lesbian domestic partners. Under California law, they "shall have the same rights, protections and benefits" as married spouses. Proposition 8 will not change this...it just wouldn't be called marriage, and public school teachers wouldn't have to tell children it is the same as marriage.

The following are a few more points about Proposition 8 from the Preserving Marriage website:

"*Having tolerance without condoning.We can love someone while still maintaining and advocating our standards and beliefs.

*Unless Proposition 8 passes, California society will soon undergo a profound change in its basic understanding of marriage and family life.That will affect everyone in numerous ways. Over time, greater acceptance of nontraditional marriage will be demanded of all people. This could impact the ability of any religion to teach and practice its beliefs.

*Proposition 8 will not hurt gays. In California, the law provides for marriage-related benefits to be given to civil unions and domestic partnerships. Proposition 8 does not diminish these benefits.

*Failure to pass Proposition 8 will hurt children.If gay marriage remains legal, public schools will put it on equal footing with traditional marriage. Children will likely receive “age appropriate” information about sexual relations within heterosexual and homosexual marriages.

*Failure to pass Proposition 8 will hurt churches. The court’s decision will inevitably lead to conflicts with religious liberty and free speech rights. Society will become more and more hostile to traditional beliefs about marriage and family. "

Many of the opposers of Proposition 8 argue that these claims are scare tactics. However, this video from a Massachussets couple (where same sex marriage is legal) would argue against this.
http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1815820715/bctid1822459319

If this Proposition does not pass, it will happen. It happened this past week in San Francisco when a 1st grade class to a SCHOOL SPONSORED field trip to city hall to watch their teacher, who was a lesbian, marry her partner. It's true. Read about it:
http://protectmarriage.com/article/first-graders-taken-to-san-francisco-city-hall-for-gay-wedding#

As an American who feels she deserves the right to teach her children as she believes, within the confines of her own home and judgement, I will be voting YES on Proposition 8.

I will not tell you how to vote...all I ask of you, is that educate yourself so that you may make the best decision for you, your family and the future of our state and country.

For more information, visit www.protectmarriage.com and www.preservemarriage.com .

Cool pumpkin picture courtesy of my ultra-cool little brother, Logan. Talented boy, that one is.

8 comments:

Eric, Sammy, & Kami said...

YES YES YES ON 8

I'm TERRIFIED that it won't pass. We have a big sign on our front lawn on this prop.

Bird is the Word said...

LOGAN ROCKS~ I stared at that pumpkin and could not fathom TRYING to figure out how to do it.... I am with you sister! Love the person, hate the sin!

YES ON 8~~~~

Sara Marie said...

That pumpkin is awesome! I have many gay and lesbian friends. Prop 22 is not about hate. It's about protecting my rights, as a mom, as a member of a church to not have another lifestyle forced upon me and my children. I found the 1st grade field trip in San Francisco absolutely appalling. Sure, some children stayed behind because their parents did not want them to attend, but are those children now going to be persecuted for not going? Will their parents be viewed as hateful bigots because they do not want that lifestyle taught to their children. The Gay community wants to argue that we are taking away their rights by passing prop 8. Well, to them I say, what about my rights to disagree with that life style and not have it forced upon my children?

Maran said...

I love that pumpkin! I am so passionate on this subject!! I SOOO hope that prop 8 passes, even though I don't live in Cali. I don't think people realize that this is going to change the rest of our lives if it doesn't pass.

Unknown said...

amen, amen, amen. If I lived in California, I would vote YES!!!!

Dave Petersen said...

I'm very proud of you and your strength to stand up for what is right. Love, Dad

Dave Petersen said...

I'm very proud of you to stand up for what's right and to publish it for everyone to see. Love Dad

HeaTheR & ChRiS said...

That pumpkin is so cool!! I love this post!! I might have to steal it and post it on mine too...well said Stacy!!