Marc and I decided that it would be fun to take Montana to a museum. We had a coupon for a free admission to the Sacramento History Museum down in Old Town Sacramento and so we went. Marc loves history and actually, I'm thinking I really do too. I couldn't stop taking pictures. (Many more than I will post because I do not want to bore you!) We were talking about how grateful we are for the people who have come before us and worked so hard, and we were discussing how far our country has come but also the many similarities with hard times in economy that have been repeated like cycles. It just is really good I think sometimes to reflect on your history and where we come from. It was a thought provoking trip and it only cost 5 bucks!
Montana getting ready for the tour.
I knew that part of Sacramento's history had a lot to do with gold...so a significant portion of the museum was dedicated to gold mining and such. Also there was a section on the Indian tribes and it was neat to see what tribes lived in what areas. Elk Grove was the Miwok tribe. El Dorado Hills was the Nisenan. Just in case you ever wondered!
But, one thing I didn't realize was such a huge part of Sacramento's history was beer. Yeah...Buffalo brand to be exact. Guess you learn something new every day. Also, just in case you ever wondered what beer was made from...it's the green stuff.
The Indians were amazing people. I've always been fascinated by them. I don't think I could have survived the way they did. It made me grateful for my home.
Representing Mormon history!
A cool picture of the founding fathers of Sacramento
I thought the story of James McClatchy was cool. He was an Irish immigrant who came to America, Sacramento to be exact, and started the newspaper The Daily Bee (Sacramento Bee). It's a classic American Dream story that epitomizes what makes our country so great.
I was feeling very grateful on this trip. A few more things I am grateful for....modern medicines...
Of course Marc thought the sports exhibit was cool...
And I, the music exhibit.

Us trying to imitate the mannequins. Don't ask me what the look on my face is. We both liked this exhibit as three of our grandfathers served in the military.
Us trying to imitate the mannequins. Don't ask me what the look on my face is. We both liked this exhibit as three of our grandfathers served in the military.
I thought the agriculture exhibit was really cool. I especially liked the kitchen...it was very nostalgic. However, it made me grateful for my microwave oven, dishwasher and large island to prepare food on. My favorite was the sign up on the wall that reads, "The Lord Will Provide". It helps to remind us that this nation was built upon faith and that is what will help us to prosper and continue on.
Of course we finished off the trip with some ice cream and a stroll around Old Sac. It was a great day just spending it with each other.

6 comments:
LOVE that museum!! I went like EVERY year I was in Elementary! Old Sac ROCKS~~~ I hope you hit up the CANDY store at the end... free samples NEED I SAY MORE~
Wow! That seriously looked like a very interesting museum. History is fascinating! Oh, and I totally agree about the modern conveniences...especially when it comes to giving birth. How did women do it back then!?
I LOVE that museum. Oh, I'm homesick.
I don't know if I've ever been to this museum....maybe when I was a child. It looks pretty cool!
Looks like a fun museum. We will have to check it out sometime! :)
I love family outtings!! It looks like you have a lot of fun!! Great pic's!
Post a Comment