Maybe I'm some kind of a weirdo, but as a mom, the feeling of successfully teaching (or in this particular case weaning) your child in an area to help them mature and progress is such a fulfilling experience. I'd equate it to the feeling of completing a big project at work that seemed impossible, but you finished nonetheless. Or a term paper/project. Anything big like that. Jest all you want for the comparisons, but I would venture to say the feeling is even better because the subject is one that you care deeply for the ultimate well being of.
Last week, I decided to turn over a new parenting leaf. I was getting concerned that my sweet little girl was becoming somewhat of a spoiled mess of emotions. It was exhausting to say the least. The screaming was ferocious and her dependence on a "passie" had taken a turn for the worst. I felt a little bit out of control and that more so, this not even two year old held the reigns. But, with some advice and a resolve between my sweetheart and I...we decided to take the plunge and pull the plug. Literally. The pacifier was a goner as of last Tuesday. I also got some advice from a doctor (via my sisters daughters doctor whom my sister so kindly solicited for her advice in my behalf) that the best way to deal with the screaming is to do one thing. IGNORE!
If you've ever heard my child scream, its nothing short of the feeling of a heart attack mixed with that boiling point where you feel like ripping off your own ears to escape the sound. I'm sure one day when she is a beautifully accomplished soprano, I will be grateful for her strong set of pipes...but when she lets out these blood curdling screams, it's unbearable.
So obviously suggesting the "IGNORE" tactic was definitely easy to suggest, but VERY hard to do. Nonetheless, I already had my mind made up that I was going to accomplish these things. So, I apologize to any adult I had communication with last week...I had to find a very internal place with myself in order to successfully complete the "ignoring" part. I was therefore a little bit socially handicapped. Now before you all think I ignored my child for a week...that wasn't the case. I simply ignored the screams. Discipline and time outs were still given as a consequence of wrong choices, however when it came to the shreiking for attention, I acted as though I heard nothing.
Surprisingly, it has actually worked. It hasn't been completely rectified, but it is definitely on the mend. I am grateful to the Lord for granting me the patience and peace I prayed for so earnestly each and every day. I can't explain how or why, but I had a much better tolerance and sense of patience than I've ever had in my child rearing career (a whole of less than two years)...in probably one of the hardest behavioral times for my child. I can only credit the Spirits loving guidance and whispered encouragings that I was doing the right things. How grateful I am for that source of strength...I can't say enough about it.
As far as the pacifier goes, Montana had a rough nap that first day. She cried for a little while asking for her long lost best friend "Passie"...(haha)...but eventually fell asleep. Her crying was shorter that night as we tucked her in for the evening. And now, a week later, there is no mention of it at all. Definitely a victory.
Now, on to POTTY TRAINING...OY VEY...PRAY FOR ME...
Anaconda?
1 year ago

8 comments:
YEAH!!! Let me know what you do with the whold potty thing... I want to get Hailey potty trained ASAP! Buying TWO packages of different size diapers is NOT something I want to do for long! I have been told that they are able to potty train young... Here's hopeing! ~
CONGRATS! And thanks for the doctor's advice...I'll have to keep that in mind for the future. :)
Good for you!!! Doesn't it feel good when you win. Potty training will be sooooo much easier. Eden was potty trained in 3 days. What I did was go to the store let her pick out big girl panties, then the next day we started. Don't put her in pull-ups unless you go somewhere or for bed because they are just like diapers. It sucks cleaning up the mess but it's worth it, and eden did great. And I am sure you already know not to get upset if they have an accident it's already embaressing for them. Kids don't like to be wet or poopie. Tell her the pull-ups are night time underwear. They even has princess pull-ups which eden still wears at night. Just some advice from my expeirence with eden.
Good for you. I wish that worked with Ashlyne, well it probably would if I had the patience to ignore her bugging everyone around her!! Oh and potty training isn't that hard for girls, at least it's easier thn it is for boys!
I think the potty training is so much easier than getting rid of the bink. I finally took madyson's away. She has been bink sober now for almost 2 weeks, hasn't said a thing about it like it never existed. She loves to go potty though. And I totally hear you on the screaming, it is out of control at my house, I could lock her in a closet sometimes. But be reassured all the litle girls around this age in my neighborhood do the exact same thing. They are drama, wait until you get a boy they are so laid back and low maintenance. But at least she is cute right!
I'm so glad that Montana has reduced her screaming and has gotten of her "passie". I know it has made your life a whole lot more enjoyable. It's funny what a little patients can do. I wish I had that much patients!! I don't these days. :)
Congratulations, and I really appreciate this post because I need to do the same thing. I keep putting it off until her 2nd birthday (same with potty training) but I know I need to do it now. I know this sounds crazy but I also don't want to do it just yet because that is the only way I feel like she's still "my baby" instead of "my crazy toddler"
I'll probably be calling you for advice.
Oh and we want you guys to come to Kami's party but I don't want you guys to get a late start to disneyland unless you were planning on driving a night anyway. Disneyland is so fun, we'd understand if you can't make it. Love you
Good job stacy! I know its hard being a parent but it is also so rewarding. I wish the ignore advice would work with my daughter. :)
Post a Comment