Our fridge was bare...not so much the cupboards, but we were running very low on fresh food, and we are trying to eat a lot more fresh vegetables and fruit. Marc and I debated on whether or not to make the 15 minute trek to the Winco in Folsom or just get what we needed at Raley's. We figured since it was going to be a "small" run, we'd just go to the local Raley's. So, we go, and the load turned from small to medium small, but still significantly smaller than our bi-weekly Winco run. Plus add some high ticket price, not your average grocery items like a big box of diapers and some much needed cleaning supplies, not to mention all of the fresh vegetables and fruit that cost a grip.
We go to check out, and I figure its going to run in the high 100's, which is usually where we come out with a huge bi-weekly Winco run...anywhere from $140-190. I knew halfway through shopping that we were going above what our intentions were, but it was too late. Montana was being a bit of a bear at the checkout and so she and I went out to wait at the front of the store outside. I could see Marc inside and I looked in and he hand motioned "2-2-0" to me. I about had a heart attack...not because it was so out of our range to spend, but because we literally got less than half of what we get at winco, for a third more of the price. Are you kidding me?? Plus, Marc ended up having to bag almost all of his groceries himself because they were busy and we walked them out to our car and loaded them ourselves. We may as well have been at Winco.
And so, we've learned our lesson not to turn our backs on Winco. 15 minutes would have been worth the drive to spend probably less than 100 bucks, instead of over twice that much.
How easy we forget...Winco is a God-send.
Anaconda?
1 year ago

8 comments:
I second that!! I just went to Winco for an hour and half last night and got home after midnight... shopping without the kids was fantastic! And you're right- a huge, heaping cart-full was under $200! I'm set for a month, I think :) Glad to know you share my love.
$220 that is just ridiculous!!! Oh my gosh..even if you got TONS of stuff...that is still crazy!!! Yeah Winco sounds like it's for sure the way to go!
Isn't that the truth. I hate shopping at Albertson's and Raley's and all those places. They are SO voer priced. We so miss Winco. We use to drive 30 minutes when we lived in Idaho and it was SO worth it :)
Yes, we don't have a WinCo here and it stinks!!!! I wish we would have gone to AMerican Idol try outs together!!!
funny you say this... I have been telling Matt that we need to live close to the WinCo of 99 in Elk Grove! We were WALKING distance from WinCo in Fresno, and we can ONLY survive on the good things in life shopping there! At least NOW you know that you ALWAYS head to WinCo! We hope to see you again this...uhh summer...if it stays nice... SEE YA~
I hear ya, just be glad it's only 15 minutes away and not an hour away to go to any normal stores. Here in susanville, we go to reno to go to winco and it's an hour away. I know the feeling there is a safeway here and the prices are ridiculous, I always spend more than I need to. Just don't go to the store on an empty stomach.
omg, I miss WinCo out here in Indiana! The closest thing they have here is an Aldi, which is super cheap (milk $2.29/gallon and all cereals for $1.89)), but it has rotten produce, so I have to go to Super Wal-Mart for the rest of my grocery trip.
I am totally a WinCo fan...but we have talked about that before. It's always worth the drive! :)
Post a Comment