Tuesday, July 20, 2010

21 Days: Day 8

Tuesday, July 20, 2010
21 Days to an All Around Better Me

Word of caution: If you set out to progress and become a better person, don't expect the road to be easy. How do you learn without tests and challenges? It's not magic I guess. It's not just this breeze that blows through you, magically teaching you all of the qualities of the Savior. Like patience, compassion, humility...etc, etc. Not that any of you were under that impression, but I guess I just am blown away every day by this process and whats happening in and around my life for me to learn from. It's not all easy, but I know it will be worth it.

This is why it is not all easy. Today was one of those days where your kids are in constant need of something. Both of them. At the same time. Crying. It was the kind of day where you're so flustered with your mind in a million places that you back into your garage door because you are not thinking about the fact that it's not all the way up yet (mmm-hmmm, yeah, I did that today). One of those days where you have air conditioner guys at your door and your phone rings incessently, including a phone call from my insurance office letting me know that because in the past two years I've had a car accident (not the garage) and a ticket, California no longer considers me a good driver (do I blame them?? An hour after the call I backed into the garage)... and my insurance is going up $60 a month. It was one of those days where after bath time and the "THERE'S WATER IN MY EYES" and the "ready to eat" baby crying, drove me to scarf down 5 Pecan Sandies, much like someone might run to a liquor cabinet for a quick shot of something. It gave me the sanity I needed to finish the night time routine...and a stomach ache. It's the kind of day where I'm still out of my element (I promise, that will make sense tomorrow), and I still feel like a headless chicken....

...however, it's the kind of day that I'm so grateful that my kids are safe and sound asleep in their beds. I got news this afternoon that my neighbors little girl was in an accident at the home and was rushed to the hospital. Upon furthur examination, reports are looking miraculous, but I'm sure that there was a point in time today where these parents literally had to fear for the life of their child. I will take screaming, crying and everyday craziness over that anyday. My heart and prayers have been with them all day as well.

Amidst all of the events of today, I was able to accomplish SOME of the stuff on my list, but today has probably been the least productive day so far. I look forward to a little more normalcy in my life tomorrow.

Scripture Study- From the Closer to Christ book, John 10:1-18. The Lord is the Good Shepherd. From one of my favorite church singers, Hilary Weeks, I love this line from a song of hers, "For He's the Good Shepard and He loves His sheep. Leaves the ninety and nine, to rescue me." What a comfort to know that we are watched over and known personally by our Good Shepherd.

Personal Prayer - Yes, and all throughout the day for our little neighbor friend.

21 Days Closer to Christ Book- Today, following the above scripture passage, was about the parable of the Shepherd. It talked about how we are to strive to know His voice. It reminds me of another song, a Janice Kapp Perry one I believe: "My sheep, hear my voice. And I know them. And they follow, they follow me." If we can recognize His voice, we can follow Him. The challenge or journey was to think about how we have learned to recognize the voice of the Savior and to find one way to "hear" His voice today. I know I did and have many times in this past week. And I pray to seek out His voice even moreso as I continue on.

Physical Exercise- Swimming...but no specific time, although I'll tell you, I had intentions. I had my work out clothes on for hours. Why didn't I then? See above regarding crying/screaming kids/babies.

Healthy Eating- If you can count barely anything and then 5 Pecan Sandies as healthy yes. But no one in their right mind would call that healthy, so...no.

Wake up at 6:30- Did I mention my baby has a double ear infection?? With a late night last night and multiple times up with him, six thirty felt like 3:30 in the morning, just with sun streaming through the window. I cut my losses and opted for the extra hour of sleep before Montana woke up and while the baby was resting peacefully for the first time in the night. SO ready for my normal schedule again- which will be back tomorrow.

Daily Chore- No, but that has to do with the out of my element thing.

30 Minutes with Montana- Not consecutively. I need my alone time with her. I vow to get that special time with her tomorrow.

Showing Spousal Love- I called him numerous times today just to tell him I loved and missed him (oh, and by the way honey...I, um, hit the garage door). Don't worry, he still said he loved me back. :)


Although the past few days, especially coming off of a weekend haven't been my best in this 21 day process so far, I still feel amazing about what this process is teaching and giving me. There are bound to be bumps in the road and hiccups in the schedule, but that's how you know it will still fit into everyday life, even after 21 days.

2 comments:

Erixgirl said...

So, I pretty much LOVE how inspiring you are!!! This is so awesome of you to challenge yourself and share it with the world! You go GIRL!

Bird is the Word said...

It sure is amazing that even though you have THE WORST DAY EVER you are thankful for the kids being OK... prayers to the neighbor kid... I hate hearing about kid's getting hurt...
KEEP On GOING... and eat whatever you want!! Cookies are SO healthy on crapy days like that!!