Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Nerd!

So, remember that one time, that you fell down at the park, and bonked your head and skinned your knees and elbows? I'm sure at this moment, you are picturing yourself, at anywhere from age 2 to 10-ish. Well, if you're me, you're picturing about ten hours ago...

It all started with a run, that turned into a walk. (Side note: How does anyone run in El Dorado Hills? It's so dang hilly..I know that's not a word, but it's hilly none the less). And because I run through the park, that is pretty flat and much easier terrain for a run, Montana MUST have a visit to the playground. So, I stop to let her play. I felt like I must've been interrupting some sort of function because there was probably fifty moms with name tags, and twice as many children all over the place. Regardless, I stayed to let Montana play. After a few minutes I noticed that it was getting kind of rambunctious on the play structures, and Montana was in the way of a group of young boys playing. So, I went and picked her up, letting her know it was time to go home. Of course, she doesn't want to hear this and kind of throws a hissy fit whilst on my right hip.

So, I go to step up out of the "bark box" (well, it's not a sand box...it's bark, so what else do I call it?)...and I must've tripped, although I don't remember my foot catching, and before I know it I'm slow-mo falling. All I can think is to turn to the left, because she is on my right hip in my right arm...so I stick my left arm out to break my fall, trying to catch myself on my jogger right in front of me. Yeah...forgot to put the break on that, because it just rolled out of the way and took my arm with it...so, falling head first, I take the fall on concrete to my forehead, with my knees shortly after scraping their way to a halt on the concrete. I jump up to check Montana, asking a woman standing nearby if she saw if Montana hit the ground at all. She said she didn't see the fall, just that we had fallen. But, Montana seemed fine, and I was pretty sure that my right arm never touched the ground upon impact. She jumped right up. So, then the woman asks me, "Are you okay?" And in a dizzy, delusional voice, I'm like, "Yeah, I'm fine. I broke the fall with my head." Two contradicting sentences...but that's all I could think to say. So, then I kind of dust myself off, not caring in the slightest if anyone thought it was funny...if you're laughing at someone who fell on their head, you're a jerk anyway. So, I didn't leave out of embarrassment...but I turned to Montana and said, "K, Tana, get in your seat. We need to go...Mommy has owies." As I walked home, I felt my head and felt a bump...got home and looked in the mirror, and found a golf ball sized knot.

So, after some Advil and ice, and some band aids for my knees, I can now laugh it off as a rough play day at the park. Oh, and no pictures. I can laugh at myself for sure, but I'm not that self deprecating! :)

P.S. Rach, this post is for you. Thanks for caring about me updating my blog. love ya

6 comments:

LaPointe Photo Images said...

You poor thing! I'm glad you're ok though. Have you ever wondered why it's funny when you see someone fall? It's strange I think. Obviously not when it's a serious fall but haven't you seen someone fall like on tv or just in the mall and someone trips? Maybe I'm a horrible person but the laughter comes involuntarily, I swear!

Marc and Stacy said...

Christie,
Yes, I know exactly what you mean. My friend and I were just talking about that yesterday, that it is sad that it is human nature (or it has been learned socially to be human nature) to laugh when someone falls. Like, your first inclination is to let a little (usually involuntary)laugh escape your lips...and then you run to help them or feel bad for laughing. I think we all do it.

My fall is funny now, I can laugh at myself. And I'm sure it looked really funny at the time...I'm grateful that if anyone did laugh, I didn't notice at the time.

Jeanna C. said...

Thanks Stacy. I must say that its not the actual fact that you fell that made me laugh. It was how well you depicted it I can just see exactly what happened. I hope your head is okay! I'm glad you can laugh about it. Thanks for making me smile at the beginning of the day :) It's much better now!

The Petersen 5 said...

Oh man Stacy. Why as Moms do we have to fall like that-yes, I too have fallen. I broke my first bone because of a toy I tripped over! I hope your doing okay. Just remember to laugh and learn!!! :)

Heather said...

Ouch! Two falls in less than 6 months... I think you've had enough falls for awhile. Glad you are ok!

RachelBarker said...

Stace, thanks for posting! Can I be honest? I was laughing a little only because when I was running down elk grove blvd. right in front of Baskin Robbins with park cars, I totally biffed it! I fell face forward, hands scratched up and bloody. knees killing me!! anyways...
How cute is Tana asking if her mommy is ok.
what are your plans this weekend?