I wouldn't ever say I pride myself on my artistic creativity, and so this is a very juvenile version of something that looked way more cutesy and elaborate in my mind, but hey it was fun.
So, yesterday I was watching my friends little boy, who just turned two a few weeks ago, and last week we went to his birthday party. His mom decided to bring with him a few of his new toys, since Montana has mostly girl toys. He brought a Buzz Lightyear and a Fire Truck. Definitely boy toys. Well, tell that to an almost two year old girl. She doesn't care about the difference between her Ariel doll, and his Buzz. So, all day, even though I am trying to teach them to share, and they did at times, I had to keep reminding Montana, "These are Ryder's birthday presents. Remember we went to his party and we got him the Buzz for his birthday?" She would then get a disappointed look on her face and ask, "My birthday?? My birthday party??" How do you tell a toddler to wait about two more months, and then they can have a party? She has gone to a few birthday parties recently and given presents to friends and cousins, and been really patient about it, until now. It's as though she finally put it together..."What about me, mom? Don't I get one of those special days?"
Well, yesterday, I had a rough morning with her. Actually, its been a rough couple of weeks. She's turned over a new leaf with the tantrums...and not in a good way. I still discipline her with the time outs and try really hard to just cope, but there are some days where I just lose it...and her shrieking every five seconds yesterday morning about the toys she wanted to play with, had me dangling dangerously on my last nerve. Luckily, my sister had come over with her kids and kept me sane enough until nap time. While they were sleeping I wrote on my other blog on patience and I had some new found faith and resolve in enduring through this part of my life, with joy, instead of stress. Check it out, if you'd like to travel through a journey of losing my mind and then semi-finding it!
With that resolve, I decided that we all needed a bit of silly-ness in our day. (Montana and I for reasons described above and Marc has been working up to 11 hour days). So, I decided to have "A VERY MERRY UN BIRTHDAY PARTY". It was meant for us all, since it was all of our un-birthdays, but kind of turned into more of a celebration for Montana, which is to be expected.
Luckily I had some stuff left over from her 1st birthday, and some Young Women's Personal Progress parties I'd thrown. I had to make up some stuff though, and like I said above, I'm not too artistically creative, so my "creations" are a little 5th grade, but hey, they worked.
The table, with my flower and balloon centerpiece. I colored flowers and balloons and stuck them onto the ends of shish-kabob skewers, and put them in a vase with some colored hard candies at the bottom.


The Un-Birthday Banner
The silly cake. My decorating frosting didn't like the move up to EDH with the altitude. It took me about twenty minutes to write Merry Un-birthday, and my arms are a bit sore this morning. I tried to cover it up with the sprinkles.

Montana's un-Birthday present. Oooh, I wonder what it is???

We enjoyed a meal of pasta salad and BBQ'd chicken, and then sang the Un-Birthday song.
Montana's un-Birthday present. Oooh, I wonder what it is???
We enjoyed a meal of pasta salad and BBQ'd chicken, and then sang the Un-Birthday song.
Please excuse my singing...and Marc's lack of singing. He didn't know I was recording.
Montana blowing out our three candles...one for each of us. She already started digging into the cake before we were done singing. It's a long song.
Montana blowing out our three candles...one for each of us. She already started digging into the cake before we were done singing. It's a long song.
Digging in...
What fork?
Mmmm...
Wanna see my cake?
Me enjoying my cake. Marc said he was taking this to get me back for posting a picture of him "stuffing his face" (he said it, not me) on the State Fair post. I had to be fair and post it.
Time to open your present!!! She mastered the art of un-wrapping.
What is it, Tana??
Alice in Wonderland!!! (Check out the eyes. She's dizzy with excitement!) We already had the movie, but she had never seen it. She's been really into watching whole Disney movies lately, and I thought that Alice in Wonderland would be the perfect gift, since its where I got my idea from.
Happy Un-Birthday, Baby doll...
Mommy and Tana at the party
Daddy and Mommy at the party (I look a little drunk. Shouldn't have had that last cup of Crystal Lite)
And lastly, my thanking Marc ahead of time for cleaning up the party. Just look at the excitement on his face!
A VERY MERRY UN-BIRTHDAY TO YOU ALL!

11 comments:
What a cute idea Stacy!! You are obviously plenty of creative!!
Stace~ You are so dang cute! Tana is so lucky to have such a fun mommy! I know Ryder enjoyed getting to help color the decorations!
That is seriously such a good idea! nice job---and I love to hear from others that it is possible to be on your last nerve...even with just one child. :) Thanks for the inspiration of making a hard situation into a good thing.
That is such a good idea. what a good mom you are. That is so funny that you wrapped a video she already had. It's so hard when they don't understand about birthdays and when it's there turn. Eden still asks when is her birthday. She just had one in march but she still doesn't understand. Good job on the un-birthday I might just have one of those, I think there should be an un-birthday for everyone, so much fun. Miss you guys so much.
I love it! I would of never thought to do anything like that! Great job, you are very creative!
I agree, very creative. I may use your idea some day if we run into that issue.
Cheers to an amazing mom! You are little Tana's HERO along with her daddy. She will love looking back on that :)
Hey! I found your blog off of my sister Jenna's (who had Courtney's). Anyways, it seems like all of the Elk Grovians are moving up the foothills these days. My mom loves EDH. Your girl is darling, reminds me a lot of my little Ella.
what a good idea for my three crazy girls. they would do any thing for a new toy. i think i'll follow in your foot steps on that one.
You are so creative Stace.
What a great idea! I will have to try that sometime when we are having a rough week around here. Your daughter is darling! It was fun to see you at the temple.
Post a Comment