When I think of family vacations, I think of Thousand Trails camping grounds. Thousand Trails is in Oregon House up about a half hour out of Marysville, and is what my dad always likes to call, "vacationing in the dirt". It's not the kind of camping where you dig a latrine, or bathe in the lake. The facility has camping lots mapped out in a community, and each camping spot has an electrical hook up, a barbecue and a picnic bench. For each section of camp sites, there is a bathroom with toilets, outlets and showers. There is a lake, where you can swim, fish, rent a patio boat, rent bumper boats or just lay on the beach. There is also a built in pool area, a store, a lodge, a miniature golf area, playgrounds...and I'm sure I'm leaving out a few things, but you get the idea. Anyway, as a kid I can't even remember a summer not going camping up there with all the McFadyen's...my mom's side. It was something my Grandma loved to do. Since she passed away, back when I was about 14, I haven't been back. My extended family continued to go but for some reason, my family didn't make it back. My Aunt Sue has kept a membership all these years, and so finally this year, when she called to say she was going up, my family decided to go. Marc had to work and only made it up for one night, so Montana and I left on Wednesday afternoon with my mom and sisters.
When we got there, I have to be honest, I was a little overwhelmed with the idea of camping with a 21 month old. I was looking around at different trailers with DirecTv dishes outside, and while we set up camp I couldn't help but find it hilarious that we all left perfectly functioning homes to come out and start setting up, "Here will be the kitchen..." "Here's the living room area"..."This tent is so and so's bedroom"...etc. I was kind of like, "Okay, why is camping fun again?"But, my attitude soon changed and I just realized it's fun to be outdoors and spend time with your family. The first night we roasted some hot dogs. Montana enjoyed her hot dogs with ketchup for dipping. When she was done, she decided to take her bib off by herself.
If I had to choose one picture from our camping trip, to sum up our camping experience, I would choose this one...because seriously, I felt like she was running around like crazy and always in a blur. It's very hard to keep a toddler clean and occupied constantly, while camping.
The first night, Montana and I slept in a tent. She was in her porta-crib, and I was on an air mattress. It wasn't too bad, but Montana kept waking up, and ended up with me on the air mattress. I woke up with a sore throat, which was weird. I thought it must just be the night air. After getting up at six thirty and watching some movies on the portable DVD player (thanks Mom for bringing it...you're so prepared!), and getting ready to go to beach, she conked out for a little nap in the trailer.
...but we distracted her with sand toys.
My cousin Brittany and one of her three adorable boys, Ashton.
Montana taking some time to relax with Mommy in the water...
...and the on the beach.
She liked Eden's Strawberry Shortcake inter tube.
Then Courtney, Dave, Andalyn and Ryan all showed up and we went back to camp to get ready for dinner.
Dave and Whitney trying to fix the Cashdollar's tent.
Keeping the girls occupied...
Me and Whit...
Me and Britt...
That night after dinner and s'mores, we went to sleep. Montana and I slept in the trailer with my mom that night. Montana had a better night. Mine was much worse. My throat was so sore I couldn't swallow and I woke up probably ever hour. Horrible.
The next morning, we again headed out for the beach.
Montana and Mommy taking goofy pictures...
Playing in the sand...
Montana helping burp baby Ryan after a bottle.
My best friends...
Playing "Ring Around the Roses" with Montana and Andalyn...
My cousins Christie and Sharsten playing with Christie's little girl, Isabella.
Back at the campsite for dinner...and an even better set up for the girls to be kept in one spot.
Marc, David and Logan drove up Friday after work for the night. I'm SO glad that they did. I wanted Marc to experience the camping trip with Tana and I (and help me discipline her, because she was definitely testing me this whole trip. I was running out of time out spots.ha ha)
We put Marc straight to work with the BBQ.
We had a variety of fantastic meats...tri-tip, steak, london broil, and bratwursts. Mom also made some fabulous potatoes and corn. It was a great meal.
After dinner, Marc, David and I awent for a night swim in the lake. It was cold...and there were bats. And so we decided to head up to the warm pool...Whitney, Logan and Dave joined us after their miniature golf game, and Brittany came down for a dip in the pool with us as well.
Then we all sat around and talked...mostly we laughed. Laughed at Logan and his funny work stories, but the funniest of all was Mom's story about the lady in the bathroom who was talking to her sore, tired feet. Sorry, you really had to be there to get it, but I know everyone else who was there is laughing thinking of it.
I'm so glad you came up, babe. Missed you.
The next morning we woke up and Marc got to cookin' again. He made us pancakes and bacon. This is Mr. Logan and his peanut butter and syrup pancakes.
All in all the camping trip was a lot of fun. Marc wants to go back when he can enjoy more than one night. I only wish that I didn't come home sick as a dog with a cold in the middle of freakin' summer! Thanks for the memories, Thousand Trails.

9 comments:
Wow! What a fun trip!! I love camping! Just looking at the pictures of Marc's BBQ made my mouth water! It was good to talk to you today! Hope you feel better soon! Love you!!
Sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe we'll have to go find this place. Why doesn't the Petersen side have family reunions? Glad you had a good time. And I hope you scrubbed your tub good after giving Montana a bath when you got back :)
Dang Stacy you are Fast! I probably won't get my camping trip post up for a few more days since our stupid wireless router isn't working and all of our pictures are on my laptop. Anyways, it was SO fun having you guys up at camp this year. It reminded me of how much fun we had growing up camping there each summer. I have some adorable pictures of you and Montana. I'll send some to you ASAP. Love ya!
Looks like lots of fun. Thanks for making my mouth water with the pictures of that food. Tana looks like she is in her element. Cute pictures.
Looks like so much fun! I have been wanting to go camping just for the yummy breakfast part! I love waking up and smelling pancakes and bacon. Lucky. I'm excited to finally see you this weekend! Love ya. hope your voice gets better soon
Camping was a blast!! It was so fun to get back there with all of us. I wish that we all could spend more then just a few days like that. I love just hanging out and enjoying the beach! Marc, that BBQ was probably the best I've ever had. If anyone hasn't experienced it, they should. I'm tell'n ya, he needs to open a BBQ restraunt. Great times!! I look forward to going back next year!!
Camping was a blast!! It was so fun to get back there with all of us. I wish that we all could spend more then just a few days like that. I love just hanging out and enjoying the beach! Marc, that BBQ was probably the best I've ever had. If anyone hasn't experienced it, they should. I'm tell'n ya, he needs to open a BBQ restraunt. Great times!! I look forward to going back next year!!
I love camping like that! I'm sorry that you got sick, though. I'm excited to see you this weekend!
That looks like a great place to go camping! The first picture of you and Montana being goofy is adorable! Hope you are feeling better!
Post a Comment